This would make a great switching yard to model

oxfordlawn

Still learning
My father worked at this yard, we were just talking about it recently so I was doing some research and checking it out. It was on the Harlem River in Bronx, NY. Came across a great website with lots of photos and info...but thought it would be cool to post this track layout picture:D

I remember seeing that somewhere, very cool!
You'd be buying more switches than track! :D

Except that not one single switch in that yard is anything near 'standard'. Tim Warris's build is entirely hand laid and completely custom. I believe he says somewhere that there are no two turnouts identical.

Id bet you could get real close with standard switches...a couple of the crossovers looked a bit different though, I think Warris' site said it best, its an "interprertation" so close would work for me just fine LOL. Yes I watched the video of Tom Warris' layout...it was amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
oxfordlawn,

I think you should go for it. There are other similar terminals there. I think the Harlem Transfer would be easier to model but if your father worked at Bronx Terminal, then you have to do that one:).

Hand laid track would make it much easier. One idea might be to start with a timesaver switching puzzle and use that project to laern about hand build track.

Paul

oxfordlawn,

I think you should go for it. There are other similar terminals there. I think the Harlem Transfer would be easier to model but if your father worked at Bronx Terminal, then you have to do that one:).

Hand laid track would make it much easier. One idea might be to start with a timesaver switching puzzle and use that project to laern about hand build track.

Paul
yeah this really has my attention for a build, I had that weird sentimental feeling going on when I was looking at all the pics on the website.....anyone here thats good with the layout programs able to tell me how big an area would be needed for HO scale

Funny you say that....somehow I ended up with some track and had been looking at the timesaver layout units to experiment with:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back