This is horrible.

Most these cities are always rattling their tin cups for more tax money. But they squander almost all of it. Then when the coffers are empty again they rattle the cup again. And if they don't get their way they threaten to cut police and fire. Never their own salaries of course.

Most these cities are always rattling their tin cups for more tax money. But they squander almost all of it. Then when the coffers are empty again they rattle the cup again. And if they don't get their way they threaten to cut police and fire. Never their own salaries of course.
The same county I posted about earlier accepted many millions of dollars to widen the Interstate through the county. After they got the money, the county decided the money would be better spent elsewhere, like on several streets and roads that were miles away from the Interstate. After a while, the US DOT asked the county how that Interstate improvement project was coming along. How those commissioners managed to stay out of prison is beyond me.

Back in the late 80's I went up to one of the coal mining towns in west central Queensland to build and renovate company houses. We had to travel over what was called a Developmental road (about 50 miles, mostly formed by bully and grader), it was virtually only single file and if something was coming the other way, one would have to pull off to let the other through. Luckily nothing did. Would never have got through in the "Wet" as it's known here.

Any way, getting near the end, all of a sudden it turned into a curbed and channeled fully sealed double carriage way for several miles before returning back to dirt and gravel for a short distance before reaching the mining town.

On asking the locals about this phenomenon, I was told "Oh, that's beside so and so's (local state govt member's) property".

We did have a big enquiry into corruption a few years later but of course none of the key players got convicted.

Back