This didn't work well

Another classic alternative to water+glue is water+Matte Medium. "Mod Podge" is one, but there are others, such as Liquitex more often aimed at the artists market. Available in several varieties of finish, as with paints: Matte, semi-gloss, gloss.... Unless you are directly modeling water itself--or perhaps modeling a VERY soggy day--you will want to use matte for anything soil/dirt/ballast related. Thin with water which has been mixed with a wetting agent, aka "thin water," and apply with an eyedropper. No reason you can't reapply later, too, if the holding power isn't quite enough.

Handy wetting agents are grease-fighting dishsoaps ("Dawn") and drugstore-type rubbing alcohol.

Easy enough to fine tune your method with a few index cards. Just spread your (real) soil/ballast on the cards and apply some of the thinned matte solutions to see what works for you--the tradeoff between "super-thick," but which balls up on the surface of the dirt, and "too thin," which drops into the gaps between the grains, but which doesn't have enough holding power. There is a happy..........
...........medium. :p

You might also experiment with painting underneath your ground cover first--a color darker than your soil will be what you want, as where it shows through would be shadowed and not in bright sunlight.

An idea that didn't work? Then a whole lot of help from the members of this forum? Man, I've been there!

Thanks to you folks on behalf of myself and others who use this forum to get helpful suggestions!

Paul

scenery fixative like weathering is not a one size fits all i have used everything but hairspray but only because it goes everywhere i have used a truckload of white glue dilluted 50/50 and it seems to work well wetting the area down with a wetting agent help the mixture settle in either water laced with dish soap or alcohol......

Back