Thicker foam insulation

JHansen

Okay, so I decided to go with the pink or blue foam insulation to build my layout. The problem is that I can't find anything thicker than 1/2" around here. It would take a LOT of that to cover the hollow core door I bought and then build up a reasonable size hill and at +/- $15.00 per 4'X8' sheet will get kinda expensive. Where do you get thicker foam?

Thanks,
John

IMO, good choice there :)
not sure where are you from but over here (chicago) they have 2" think almost everywhere. mine is from home depot..
and i was under impression 1/2 stuff was about 7$...

by the way, ask for "as is" stuff, i got my 4x8 sheets at 5$ a piece.

I'm in Austin, Texas where it was a chilly 105 degrees this afternoon. I've checked Home Depot and all they had was 1/2". Same at Lowe's and a regular lumber yard. I'd give my eyeteeth to find some 2".

Thanks for the reply,
John

nothing says the mountain has to be solid.

cut the sheet into strips and stack them, making the inside hollow. Once glued, you can Sureform them to contour the surface, or cover with Sculptamold (what I did).

Alamo Foam Inc
11115 Osgood Street
San Antonio, TX 78233
(210) 646-8288

They were very friendly and helpful.

They can get you Dow Square Edge up to 3" in thickness. Dow Website

If you don't want to drive to San Antonio, still give them a call, and ask them if they can recommend someone in the Austin area.

I think the availablity of foam thickness depends on where you are at. Here in Iowa you can get all sorts of foam up to 2" thick. If you live in a warmer or milder climate 1/2" or an 1" is what is found most. Most box stores should be able to maybe order some of the larger stuff.

Well, it looks like a trip to San Antonio is in my future. I asked the guy at the hobby shop about where to get the foam and he said....you guessed it...San Antonio.

Thanks for the help,
John

Those foam sheets come in 4x8 pieces. If you've got smaller than a pickup or trailer, then give them a call ahead of time (to make sure they have the exact thickness you want) and ask them if they'll cut it to a specific dimension if you need to fit it in your car.

Well, I went and purchased two 4X8 sheets of the half inch foam. After I cut it to fit the 32" wide hollow core door there is quite a bit left over. I think I'll try the cut and stack method and see how that works. I'm waiting for the caulk to dry on the two base layers and will go from there.

John

i have some 4'' thick blue foam that i got from a friend 2'X8'
the stuff cost $25.00 a sheet. I'm going to use it for a LARGE r/c boat hull
you need to special order a full bundle to get anything over 1''
and that you have to order from a LARGE building suppler

Back