These engines don't fall from the sky.

Everyone's talking about their RC experience, but I don't have any. I flew U-control, IE, control lines. I had built a stand off scale P-51 that was totally scratched. I used a 11" original G I Joe as the pilot. This thing was loaded, even the landing gear wells were detailed. IIRC, this thing had a 4' wingspan. It was powered by a Fox 50 engine, which at the time was the biggest engine available. I was 13 years old and being a member of a local model airplane club, called the "Prop Twisters", I went with the group to the King Orange Internationals, in Orlando Fl. At the time this was the World Championships.

I had done well in previous contests with the plane, and I had gone all out. I painted on approx 5,000 rivets around the "panels" on the plane, even though it was covered with just Silk-Span. The cockpit was completely detailed, the wheel wells were detailed, if it was on the real Mustang, I tried to put it on the model. Took me 2 years to build.

I was points leader in the division, and the last thing I had to do with the plane was fly it. Not a problem as this part was just some basic maneuvers and that was it. I flew them as I was asked by the judge standing next to me asked, and for the last maneuver he asked me to repeat a basic loop. No problem.

I went into the loop, felt a pop in the handle, and for some reason, the plane would not come out of the loop, and the loops got bigger and bigger. I even grabbed the bottom line and pulled hard on it, but no change! The plane made about 10 loops until the plane hit the edge of a concrete pad, that the jets used to take off from. The plane literally shattered into thousands of pieces. The biggest piece of the plane left other than the pilot, and the engine, which fortunately wasn't damaged as it wasn't mine, was the bellcrank mount. You could see where the screw holding the bellcrank had ripped out, causing the accident. Because of the crash, I went from 1st place to last. I haven't flown since.

Thanks, she's quite the little engineer. She is not happy I tore down the layout. I have been told every afternoon when I get home that I "Bwoke" the choo-choos and I need to go downstairs and fix them. Just a little more sanding and I will be laying track. Then I can take a little breather.

She's a mean little rail driver,

Better watch out Wookster! My daughter started building Athearn car kits when she was 5, and by the time she was 10, had won several modeling contests with her cars, both at the local and regional level, including 2 that were scratchbuilt.

She is about to be 35, and has picked out from my kits several structures to build, and they aren't beginner kits either. She wanted to build my Fine Scale Miniatures Coaling Tower, but I said no. So she's gonna build me some others.

Everyone's talking about their RC experience, but I don't have any. I flew U-control, IE, control lines. I had built a stand off scale P-51 that was totally scratched. I used a 11" original G I Joe as the pilot. This thing was loaded, even the landing gear wells were detailed. IIRC, this thing had a 4' wingspan. It was powered by a Fox 50 engine, which at the time was the biggest engine available. I was 13 years old and being a member of a local model airplane club, called the "Prop Twisters", I went with the group to the King Orange Internationals, in Orlando Fl. At the time this was the World Championships.

I had done well in previous contests with the plane, and I had gone all out. I painted on approx 5,000 rivets around the "panels" on the plane, even though it was covered with just Silk-Span. The cockpit was completely detailed, the wheel wells were detailed, if it was on the real Mustang, I tried to put it on the model. Took me 2 years to build.

I was points leader in the division, and the last thing I had to do with the plane was fly it. Not a problem as this part was just some basic maneuvers and that was it. I flew them as I was asked by the judge standing next to me asked, and for the last maneuver he asked me to repeat a basic loop. No problem.

I went into the loop, felt a pop in the handle, and for some reason, the plane would not come out of the loop, and the loops got bigger and bigger. I even grabbed the bottom line and pulled hard on it, but no change! The plane made about 10 loops until the plane hit the edge of a concrete pad, that the jets used to take off from. The plane literally shattered into thousands of pieces. The biggest piece of the plane left other than the pilot, and the engine, which fortunately wasn't damaged as it wasn't mine, was the bellcrank mount. You could see where the screw holding the bellcrank had ripped out, causing the accident. Because of the crash, I went from 1st place to last. I haven't flown since.

The hobby can be expensive

plane4.jpgplane 3.jpgplane 2.jpgplane5.jpg

It stopped being expensive for me when I crashed that P-51. Haven't touched any type of flying model planes, since. I took solace in my trains and ships.

got some more work in. We are now running trains. My daughter was very happy. Seems as though what I had completed was the easy part. The uncoupler magnets are troublesome. Not uncoupling when I want, uncoupling when I don't want, and delaying only half the time they should. The rolling stock.... rolls very well and any surge from the pulling unit or bump or slightly unlevel rail will cause them to uncouple. This will give me fits for a good long time I'm sure. But, it's running. SO at least that has worked so far.

IMAG0470.jpgIMAG0469.jpg

Back