The Zephyr and Signals on the D&J Railroad - Video

D&J RailRoad

Professor of HO
I've been resetting some of the signals on the railroad over the past few days and have most of them working properly again.
I ran this rather lengthy Zephyr consist over the layout to test the signal action.

The only thing I find is "wrong" about that California Zephyr is you need either and A-A set of E9's or an A-B-A set of F3's on the front end! After the merger, I never did like the BN black and green. And a UP motor up behind the green weenie? Horrible thought. ;) OTOH, the signals are GREAT!

I just had those two units sitting there looking useless, so I MUd them and put em to work.
Just joshin' ya! I model the Q back in the '40's and '50's, when I rode the Zephyrs as a kid to see my grandparents in Quincy, Illinois. In my folded dogbone layout in a 14'x14' room, I doubt if I could get 16 streamlined cars and have them all stay on the 2-1/2% grade with curves at each end, even with a pair of powered E5AB on the front end.

The only thing I find is "wrong" about that California Zephyr is you need either and A-A set of E9's or an A-B-A set of F3's on the front end! After the merger, I never did like the BN black and green. And a UP motor up behind the green weenie? Horrible thought. ;) OTOH, the signals are GREAT!
A-B-B-B-B-B-A's even, at least in mountain territory and with a train that long. :D

Last edited:
Just joshin' ya! I model the Q back in the '40's and '50's, when I rode the Zephyrs as a kid to see my grandparents in Quincy, Illinois. In my folded dogbone layout in a 14'x14' room, I doubt if I could get 16 streamlined cars and have them all stay on the 2-1/2% grade with curves at each end, even with a pair of powered E5AB on the front end.
EMD E's and 2.5% grades do not mix. Oil and water to say the least.

Unless you are talking about MRR grades, and it sounds like you are. Sub-benchwork, etc.

Back