The Rock Formations Coloring is Fading

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Parts of my CM&N Railroad are close to 20 years old and just recently I noticed that some of my rock coloring has faded to some degree. The layout is under florescent lighting which if running for long periods can help fade many materials, including scenery, but the florewscent lighting is run only when needed unlike an office setting or retail store. There is no direct sunlight hitting the layout.

I used Color Rite coloring liquids for the initial coloring of the rock and sealed the color by spraying Woodland's Liquid Scenery Cement over the rock formations.

I may try to re-color the rocks, but with the application of WS Scenery Cement I'm not sure what the results would turn out to be. I also used India Ink for defining the rock definitions and that doesn't seem to be affected.

Has anyone else noticed their rocks fading over time? If so do you plan on add more color?

Thanks.

Greg

I have no rock formations on my layout, so I cannot comment knowledgeably. However I many times have used a quick spray of Dull Coat on scenery to preserve the initial coloring. I also use it on all structures, figures and rolling stock since I noticed the fading effect on an older layout.

I used a coating of Woodland's Scenery Cement to the finished rocks that were colored, per instructions. I wonder if I can over-coat the existing rock formations with new coloring even with the Woodland Scenic Cement coating. Any ideas other than trying a small area?

My guess is yes I should be able to and follow with more Scenic Cement over the re-worked area.

Thanks.

Greg

Back