The New Kato P42 in HO: Some Questions

bigB

I'm sure many of you like me are interested in ordering at least one copy of Kato's new P42 Genesis Amtrak release. I have some questions:

1. Are you going with Tsunami or Soundtraxx?
2. Whom are you ordering from?
3. What do you think of the new drive technology?

http://www.katousa.com/HO/P42/index.html

Thanks,

Brad

I'm sure many of you like me are interested in ordering at least one copy of Kato's new P42 Genesis Amtrak release. I have some questions:Brad

1. Are you going with Tsunami or Soundtraxx?

I plan to get a couple non sound units.

2. Whom are you ordering from?

My Distributor

3. What do you think of the new drive technology?

Not sure and I will find out how it works, how easy DCC will be to install, and what details had to be omitted to get the tight swing of the trucks to make them run on 14"r curves

http://www.katousa.com/HO/P42/index.html

Thanks,

DCC install

If they have the room that the older Athearn RTR engines did you will have plenty of room for a great DCC install. I would love to have a kato engine in Phase IV. That is my modeling scheme and seems to be getting hard to find!

It seems like it can pull a lot but when a typical Amtrak train is a couple locos and 7 - 12 cars I am not to worried about that. With the dual trucks each individually powered I am wondering if they will make it easy to install a DCC Decoder or is it going to be a PITA.

It seems like they've modeled an Amtrak version with a rebuilt nose? It won't apply to anyone who wants to model an as-delivered, commuter or Via version. I'm thinking, (knowing Kato's amazing reputation for engineering,) that those coreless truck drives will be amazing.

I will probably order a non-sound version and splice in the Athearn shell nose to get a Via version. Can't wait!

It seems like it can pull a lot but when a typical Amtrak train is a couple locos and 7 - 12 cars I am not to worried about that. With the dual trucks each individually powered I am wondering if they will make it easy to install a DCC Decoder or is it going to be a PITA.

Mark,

Yep, and I hear you. I have 2% grades almost continuously throughout my layout so that pulling ability is important to me. Two Athearns can do it now on a 9 car train so Im not two worried about it esp after that demonstration.

As far as the install goes, Im going to go with its going to be simplified as much as they can. Kato seems to have a good read on the pulse of their customers needs, unlike say MTH with their "venture" into DCC-ready. All the same, anytime as you know you deal with a new technology there is bound to be hiccups and things that do and dont work out. That's kind of why I went with the sound unit.

Brad

Back