The Livingston Model Railroad Club

It would be an easy trip if it weren't for the icy roads over the pass on the way to Livingston. I can handle my rig, but there are so many wrecks up there in the winter that a lot of the time take others with them that were driving safely. In the day light it is not too bad, but at night it can be quite dangerous.

The club is not an NP club or set in any particular era. Being that the BNSF and Montana Rail Link (The MRL shops are right across from the depot) there are a lot of their power on the layout.

20180428_105526.jpg

In this photo, there are MRL locomotives with a BNSF at the rear as helpers and off to the left is a DM&IR Yellowstone with an ore train. There is a lot of NP power on the layout along with some Great Northern, Milwaukee Road, SP&S and BN along with what ever members want to run. The club is very informal and just about anything goes. Steam, first generation diesel and modern can be seen running together. I am pretty well limited to NP and Milwaukee Road. I can't see spending any more money on locomotives that are DCC as the home layout is DC.

Last edited:
Here are a few photos of the club layout. I wioll also post these in the club post.

Just to the left of the turntable are the car shops and diesel fueling area. . They did stuff a lot of details into the area.

20180428_111518.jpg

20180428_111538.jpg

Here is a mill. The tracks behind it is where the tracks go through the 24" thick wall into the Gardiner area.

20180428_111559.jpg

The power sub station does have power lines going to towers across the rear of the layout. The tracks behind the power station are the inbound tracks again to Gardiner and the curves tracks are the outbound tracks that join up to the main line.

20180428_111549.jpg

Chet, When the roads are probably bad, I guess I wouldn't go to Livingston. It does look like a very well done and nicely sceniced layout!

In the wintertime, here in this part of Minnesota, the roads can get ugly, too. Highway 10 between Detroit Lakes and Fargo/Moorhead, the road is for the most part straight; but, in open farm land and the wind almost always blows from the North West. So, even if it's not snowing, the snow can blow over the highway and turn it into a skating rink. If it is snowing, the highway department can and will close Highway 10, if they think that is advisable. You skid off the road there, you likely will get stuck. There are no mountain cliffs to go off of, so it's not as dangerous as Bozeman Pass. It's still bad enough that the 90 mile one way trip at night to go to an NMRA meeting just ain't going to happen.

Excellent photos of this exquisite layout, Chet!!

Nice purchase with the caboose and reefer.

The packing house looks great and I like the color of the stock pens.

Greg

Take a cab ride around the layout. Yours truly will appear briefly at times in the blue NAVY hat and T shirt.

Last edited:
It sure does. I have driven past it numerous times. Just west of the Yellowstone River across from US-89. The club did include this scene in the Gardiner part of the layout. You can see part of it above the caboose in this photo.

20180929_201908.jpg

Back