The Livingston Model Railroad Club

montanan

Whiskey Merchant
I've been a lone operator up here in Montana ever since I returned 40 years ago. I had no idea that there was a model railroad club in Livingston until I was notified of a train show in the old Northern Pacific Depot in Livingston, MT. The old depot has been restored and is now a museum.

Livingston_Montana_Depot,_2005.JPG

The entrance to the club is in the basement of the building on the left. You can see the stairs going down to the left of the "Swap Meet" sign.

There's a lot of railroad history in that town. It is now the home of the Montana Rail Link shop.

I will start off with a video taken at the club.

For me it is a hunderd mile round trip to get to the club, and in the winter, having to drive over Bozeman Pass can be a pain, but it is worth it. The members are quite informal and extremely friendly. While attending a swap meet I had gone down to the club and was invited to run at the club.

I do still run DC only at home because not only being a lone operator, my layout was built for switching and there is no real need to run multiple locomotives. That is different at the club. The of course run DCC with Digitrax. I will be the first to admit that I am a DCC dummy, but do have a few DCC locomotives, and even purchased a Northern Pacific RS-1 mainly to run at the club.

20180421_200035.jpg

The layout occupies three room in the basement of the old baggage building, which is on the left in the photo at the top. They had quite a job drilling through the 2 foot thick concrete walls of the basement to get the tracks into the different rooms. The scenery is very well done and some of the backdrops were hand painted by local artists of the actual area around Livingston and the surrounding areas.

The members were a little cautious at first having me operate on the layout, but having operated on some good friends layouts in Missouri in large operating sessions, I was able to suprise them and was easily accepted. The best part about the club that I like is that there are absolutely no politics, just a good bunch of guys who love model railroading.

The layout is open to the public on Thursdays and Saturday evenings from 7:30 PM until 9 PM during operating sessions.

There is no particular era modeled. You can see a mixture of just about anything on the rails from the old to the new.

20180421_201604.jpg

It is not uncommon to have 6 or more trains running at the same time. One unwritten rule is that the longer train has the right of way if there is a meet, which is quite common. My with my wimpy RS-1 than is lucky to handle 10 cars on the grades is usually the one diving for a passing siding.

In the next post on the club, I will post some photos that do go back in history. At the turn of the century, the Northern Pacific did run a train south from Livingston down to Gardiner, MT which is the north entrance of Yellowstone Park. A couple of the members did an excellent job modeling part of the area using photos taken during the period that the train ran there. Service was discontinued in 1955 with the exception of an occasional excursion train that ran for about another year.

Last edited:
Here are some old photos from the Museum of the Rockies that were used to build the town of Gardiner.

Gardiner 9.jpg

Gardiner 8.jpg

Here are a few from the layout.

IMAG1134.jpg

IMAG1135.jpg

IMAG1141.jpg

IMAG1142.jpg

IMAG1143.jpg

IMAG1144.jpg

The train was not only for the tourists, but also to supply the town of Gardiner.

Gardiner 5.jpg

Gardiner 16  - 1917.jpg

Here are some more photos. Can only load so many photos in a post.

Gardiner 10.jpg

Gardiner 7.jpg

Gardiner 3.jpg

Gardiner 14.jpg

This locomotive was custom painted and detailed to match one of the locomotives that made the run to Gardiner.

IMAG1140.jpg

The beginning of this video has the passenger train in Gardiner.

In the next series of photos and videos, more of the layout will be shown.

Last edited:
Here is the Livingston engine terminal.

IMAG1122.jpg

IMAG1123.jpg

in the real there is a red light showing. It indicates whether or not the track to the Gardiner loop is open. That is where one of the bores through the 24" thick walls is. A lot of the turnouts on the layout are manual. All of he track is Peco. Some of the turnouts are electrical using Tourtise switch machines. These are used for alternate mainline routes into the different rooms. Just don't forget to set the turnouts to the right position after you pass or you WILL get an earful.

In one of the rooms off of the main layout room is a lumber mill.

IMAG1130.jpg

IMAG1131.jpg

20180421_195737.jpg

there is also a yard, meat packing plant, mine and a facility for recycling old and wrecked railroad equipment.
IMAG1132.jpg

IMAG1129.jpg

There is one large town in the main layout room with an operating trolley. For some reason, kids just love the trolley.

IMAG1119.jpg

IMAG1120.jpg

Here is a quick video of a BNSF coal drag crossing the Yellowstone river and passing through the Livingston Yard.

Although the layout is DCC, DC equipment can be run programming the Digitrax controller to 00.

Here is a trio of Logan Valley Alcos pulling the grade up Bozeman Pass.

Last edited:
Very nicely done, thank you!

After seeing some of these photos in the Coffee Shop thread, I encouraged Chet to do a virtual layout tour as as way to showcase the layout as well as give folks an idea of what you can do in this category. He went above and beyond, creating an excellent overview of the club and layout. Well done!

How the heck did I miss this thread, must've been because I also didn't spot the New Posts tab either. Been hoping you'd show more of the Livingston club's layout, some remarkable recreations of the prototype scenes, especially the Gardiner/Yellowstone entrance area. 2 foot thick concrete walls to dig through eh! Some real scale tunnel drilling for the members.

Is the Lumber mill based on one of the locals?

Reactions: bob
How the heck did I miss this thread, must've been because I also didn't spot the New Posts tab either.

It's brand new today, but yes, the "new posts" thing comes in handy. Now that folks are starting to get accustomed to the forum, we have to gently guide everyone to look in more places than just the coffee shop thread. :) There's some other good stuff going on too, and hopefully even more in the future.

I see why I hadn't seen the thread, didn't look at the date on the first one. A lot to look at, have to go back and watch the vids. I can see how the New posts and What's new work together to cover everything so the attention gets directed. I think we'll all get and give more with this new format.

Thanks for the comments. Here is another quick video which might give you an idea of how the layout occupies three rooms. Besides the HO layout, one member is working on a small N scale layout in the corner of one of the rooms, plus Mike has a Lionel layout in another room.

The video is a bit shaky, but I wanted to try to take it before the room filled up with people.

Its great to have a high quality model railroad club, with friendly members within driving distance. I liked the photo with the wrecked cars on the flat cars headed to the repair shop. It's detailing like this that really adds to a layout. (Nice way to recycle weathering mistakes.)

Nice N scale layout.

Greg

Last edited:
One of the members has made some of the most interesting and detailed flat bed and gondola loads. I have some photos (somewhere) that I will try to post later. Here is a quick ride by oh one of his trains.

Nice loads, Chet! How often do you get the the Livingston Club and how far away from Gallatin Gateway is Livingston? Wonderful photos and videos, Chet

Mark, I try to get over on Saturday nights. The way I go it is right at a 50 mile trip one way, have to go over Bozeman Pass which can be an ugly road in the winter. They are also open on Thursday nights but to operating session usually run until 9 PM so I do pass on Thursday night run. Was over there today for the swap meet and open house at the club. Had quite a few people visiting. Did manage to shag a nice NP caboose by Atlas, new in the box for $15.

20180428_150325.jpg

Here are a few more photos of the club layout. The first two are of the mine area.

20180428_092155.jpg

20180428_121904.jpg

Next to the lumber mill is a meat packing plant.

20180428_095415.jpg

As you enter the Livingston Yard just after crossing the river they have an ic dock. Had to take two phots because it was a but hard to squeeze the entire area in one photo.

20180428_120651.jpg

20180428_120707.jpg

I'll post some more photos later.

Good pickup on the Atlas Caboose. They make the best plastic model. Nice details, about the only ones that do them with the curved grabs etc in wire. I got an MRL one a while ago, yet to put it together. Unfortunately the only maker that does a modern version of the radio control caboose (one on the layout) is Walthers, but only in their "Mainline" product, which has poor detailing, has the roof walk still on it because it it moulded integrally with the roof, no walks on the prototype. Wish I could get the decals for it off them.

Mark, I try to get over on Saturday nights. The way I go it is right at a 50 mile trip one way, have to go over Bozeman Pass which can be an ugly road in the winter. They are also open on Thursday nights but to operating session usually run until 9 PM so I do pass on Thursday night run. Was over there today for the swap meet and open house at the club. Had quite a few people visiting. Did manage to shag a nice NP caboose by Atlas, new in the box for $15.

View attachment 26295
50 miles! That's an easy trip! I'm around 90 mile one way to get to my nearest club. It should be; But, is the Livingston Club an N.P. Club?

Back