The Little Six that could...

Ok as some know I am working on a little Six engine which I kinda fallen in love with (ironic) and I am going to repaint it either a nice black or try in my Road colours...

now here where I need help with I am working on getting the motor working again which as far as I can tell I am successful with, however while slow ly running it in to try and remove the gunk and free the parts and get her freshly appplied grease on the gears (worm and drive) her guide rod slide thing broke, and bent so I am wondering if there is a way to replace the drive wheels and all parts or if maybe someone has spares that they don't need, or if I could harvest parts off another loco to get this one going again...

anyways thanks for the help and I will post pictures of the engine if needed when I get home (or just look at my other thread about it)

NOTE: the pictures are old shots and were taken before the damaged part was found/damage happened, these are before I did the clean out relube/oil

IMG_1127_zpsbbe72495.jpg

IMG_1128_zps76745a45.jpg

IMG_1129_zps7c2665cd.jpg

Originally posted by Jim - February 22 2013 : 11:07:16 AM​

Since this is a Tyco/Mantua engine, the parts that are damaged are universal to all the steamers. So any old Mantua can be used. I would try Yardbird trains for new replacements. If anyone has them, they would, as well as Model Power, who is the current manufacturer of the old Mantua line.

Yardbird link;
http://yardbirdtrains.com/

Model Power;
http://www.modelpower.com/

Unfortunately I have no parts for Mantua currently in my spare parts or I'd send them to you.

ok will they have completed (assembled sets) sets that I could order and have shipped out or is it get what you need and assemble? I don't have many tools so not sure what i would need to use...

Thanks for the links I will check them out asap :)

That I can't answer. I had to assemble all the parts on the kits that I had, but on the 0-6-0 I had, it was a complete screwdriver assembly. There wasn't any riveting of valve gear as the loco didn't have any. The trick was to get the crosshead guides into the holes in the cylinders, and onto the valve hangers at the same time. Looking at the pix of your loco, the guide has come out of the cylinders and the valve hanger. Take the screw out from under the smokebox, and the boiler should just lift off, allowing you to put the part back where it belongs.

those are predamage photos just so you know, I really just need the rod and valve sand slider bit resaly, I figure since the wheels are still good I will try to reuse them if possible...

You should be able to get those parts easily. The really nice thing about Mantuas is that if properly taken care of, they are almost indestructible. One of my friend here is still running the brass kits from Mantua, 2 2-6-0's that he's had since the 1950's. I think those kits were called "Belle of the Eighties". In fact I installed DCC in them and they still run flawlessly!

Back