The functionality of a 2x4 in n scale

So I created this thread to show the functionality of a n scale 2x4 image.jpgthat layout is only 2 foot by 4 foot has an interchange ( the one curved track by itself) two areas (a backdrop in the middle) a small yard a team track and a grain elevator, all track is atlas, switches are #4 and curves are mainly 11 inch radius
i would love to see your designs

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way mine is based on a prototype the boundry trail railway a 67 mile shortline in Manitoba founded in 2008 and runs between Binney siding (just north of manitou) and Morden, It hauls only grain a far as I could tell but I decided to make a team track to get some variety

I can not take credit for the track plan in Post #2. In case you don't recognize it, it is based on one of the most famous model railroads of all time, John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid (pronounced "gory and defeated"). The original G&D was a small HO layout that grew into a magnificent floor-to-ceiling layout that has been featured in many books and magazines. Here is a web site with some nice photos of the amazing Gorre & Daphetid:

http://www.doug56.net/GD/

Anyway, I always admired Mr. Allen and his model railroad, so when I decided to build a small N-scale layout, I borrowed the original, small G&D HO track plan and converted it to N-scale. Curves on my layout vary from about 9.7 to 11 inches. It is mostly flex track with a few sectional pieces. The original G&D had some very tight curves, being an old-time railroad set in mountainous western terrain. For my 1970's layout, I broadened the curves somewhat but still run only run 4-axle diesels and 40-foot freight cars.

- Jeff

Back