The BOeC

BDA55.jpg

bb7-950x454.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love those shots and the greenery!

You've really captured the feel and look of the area you are modelling.

since I am doing some scenery and getting the signals for this location hook up I took some time to do soemthing else as well: a bit of weathering. Boxcar at Bois D'Arcy construction co. warehouse and a covered hopper at Ste-Rosalie.

bda101-1000x451.jpg

bda103-1000x676.jpg

str103-1000x651.jpg

Something else I am working on is signalling.

Mind you, for now it is to indicate turnout positions. Later, much later, I may go with block detection.

I am building the signals from my part box.

Basically some non-descript signal heads from I don't know who in a bargain bin, which I scratch build upwards to form single/double target head mast, dwarf and cantilever tower/bridge. I use LED (Red/Yellow/Green) with styrene and various type of small tubing to get the desired result.

They are oversized compare to the prototypically correct signals available from various manufacturer, but heck not that oversized and they cost next to nothing to build.

Here's a pic from what I've done so far and what've used to make it so:

2013328123954_sig1.jpg

Some pics since I’ve started to install my home made signal system above.

Again I started at Bois d’Arcy section of the layout to do so.

sigbda1-900x580.jpg

Trio of MLW's at Boi d'Arcy

sigbda2-900x438.jpg

sigbda3-900x398.jpg

Love the depth preception....If you have time I would love to see more of an over head shot to grasp how deep your layout is... Our club has a shallow shelf and I want to add some depth to it...it might give me some ideas...

Trent

Hi Trent

I will do my best next time. However here's the measurement:

*Bois d'Arcy section of the layout is 18 inches deep
*Ste-Rosalie section (with the grain elevator) is 20 inches deep
*St-Hyacinthe (small yard and train station) is 20 inches deep
*Bridge over the Yamaska river is the deepest at 21 inches

The other sections awaiting scenery varies from 20 to 17 inches.
Overall I think I could have gone to 16 inches across the board easy . Oh well!

What helps. I think, it is my attempt at clutter prevention (too many buildings lined up and pile against each other) preventing too much compression (Ste-rosalie is 13 feet long)
and the backdrop - which in my opinion plays the greatest part - adding more depth

Hope this helps.

Syl

yes that is good info. Our Club has some parts that are about 14-16" max for double track mainline. It gets wider around curves and spur tracks but not by more than 7" or so...Personaly I have always modeled with buildings both in front and in back of the track to add depth. but im a scenery guy and enjoy that part of the layout. At this club prototipical track plan was the main goal with scenery on the back burner. After looking at your back drops I think that will be the key to the whole depth perception.

Thanks

Trent

Some miscellaneous shot . Weathered rolling stock at Ste-Rosalie with MLW RS18 in the lead.

r11-850x314.jpg

r12-850x313.jpg

An el-cheapo P1K Boxcar - repainted, re-numbered and weathered (Ok I did not change the mold on stir-up yet..)

r15-850x429.jpg

r17-800x427.jpg

Athearn genesis GP38-2 with sound . Details are very good, cab etc.. Sound is great too

r18-800x411.jpg

Back