The Best Locomotives

Scottew7

Im sure this has been posted before, but i was wanting some input from the professionals. In your opinion, who makes the best locomotives as far as running, dcc, detail, etc? Mine is kato is all around the best but lacks detail (saftey rails) , but i dont like the way atlas engines run most of the time and the dcc installation. FVM are pretty good. Im about the sell all my NS atlas to finance my kato addiction. I wish they made more NS.

I'm not a professional, but will second the idea that there be more NS out there.

I like how my Atlas, Kato, and Proto2K run.

The absolute best loco I have, as far as running is concerned, is a Proto 1000 (pre-Walthers) RSC2. I barely move the throttle and the headlight comes on and it does what locos are supposed to do.

Running-Atlas/Kato, Spectrum steamers,proto 2000,stewart FT's, out of the box,Athearn Steamers with some work/adjustments. Detail- Brass,Blackstone.
I'm an HO-HOn3 modeller.

I'm a Kato fan myself maybe not the best details out of the box but with a little work they look damn good. A close second is Atlas.

well me personally I love my Bachmann Spectrum(the last run) F40's, than my Athearn F59PHI's i love there drives i truly do. My Atlas haven't seen much running time tho since the club i belong to is only DCC. But they boyh soon will get there sound mods. lol

Im sure this has been posted before, but i was wanting some input from the professionals. In your opinion, who makes the best locomotives as far as running, dcc, detail, etc? Mine is kato is all around the best but lacks detail (saftey rails) , but i dont like the way atlas engines run most of the time and the dcc installation. FVM are pretty good. Im about the sell all my NS atlas to finance my kato addiction. I wish they made more NS.
Are you talking HO or N scale? In HO, there are a lot of good runners, many of them have very good detail and paint, and are giving Kato a serious run for their money. Also, Kato doesn't seem to be releasing very much in the way of HO lately.

My favorite two internal combustion are the True-Line CPA-24 (which, I guess, is similar to Proto 1000 internally) and a 5-year old Stewart F3. My only steamer is the MTH L4b, which is equally sweet and better liked by visitors. But I haven't met a modern locomotive whose running I don't like....

I just tried out my Proto 1000 FM "C" Liner A and powered B units I won on eBay recently. Both run great and are so close speed wise to make a lashup to pull many boxes, reefers, tankers, and anything else to make up a consist.

My Proto 2000's (E8/9 and E7) are beasts along with my Proto 1000 DL109. My Proto 1000 RSC2 runs smooth as silk as well. Athearn RS3 not so much (grinding noise). Might just need a break in period. Ditto for Athearn Genesis MP15-AC. Atlas HH660 runs great out of the box.

I'm just a STEAMAHOLIC....

Best for long term running, Bowser steam. Plastic models wear out too fast.

Best details Tie - BLI/Spectrum.

worst - Bachmann 2-8-0's with belt drives.

Most potential in a kit - MDC and Bowser. Super heavy, correctly articulated models. Sure they need work to make them spot on accurate, but the same can be said for all teh plastic models out there.

Least impressed by MTH. Who cares how accurate you CLAIM the product to be, lose the chrome tires and axles. It shouldn't look like a 3-rail toy.

In my mind its brass steam. I have brass models from the 1960's that are not only as well detailed as the latest plastic locos but pull far more car wise and run just as well as any of today's diesels, if not better.

Back