The beginning of my steam collection.

midrange

Steam & Diesel Fan
Just got this the other day. She works but needs a cleaning. Measures 18 inches tip to tip. My apologies on crap pics, my camera sucks.
4-8-4

IMG_1311.png

IMG_1315.png

IMG_1316.png

Have another 2-8-2 on the way, and looking for a british 2-10-0 Evening star.

Heres the 2-8-2
2-8-21.png

2-8-22.png

2-8-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
i have that same one just be ware if it has the original decoder it will melt on you i learned that the hard way

Well good luck with this one! With the dollar to sterling exchange rate being what it is, buying from the UK is a lot more favourable than it was! Not so good for me buying the other way though! lol!

Now have my 2nd steam. Santa Fe Mikado 2-8-2. Got this one is like new working orcer, however, its missing the bell and during transit, the front rail broke. But she works great and smokes.
2-8-21.png

2-8-22.png

2-8-2.png

Collecting and running steam locomotives is a joy to many of us,I still remember seeing my 1st real one thundering and belching coal smoke in my face, yep' thats not a typo "IN MY FACE!" I was 7yrs old, the year was 1952 and I was standing,no yet me refraze that I was hanging on top of a small 2 lane road bridge In south Mpls when a Milwaukee Road locomotive went under that bridge engulfing me in coal smoke and steam....got a real snoot full too!
Now ask yourself what any 7 year old kid is going to do when that happens'
He turns around and makes a beeline for the other side of the bridge of course:D Caught'er coming out the other side and got another snoot full!!
I was hooked!!!! every chance I got I was on that bridge lookin' for a facefull of coal smoke.
One day on the way to school I looked over the edge of the bridge and there sat THE BIGGEST..THE..SHINEST locomotive I had ever seen....did I mention she was HUMONGOUS....and SHINY!!
Had neverever seen anything like it.But'.....It wasn't moving, jus' sat there making soft gentle steam locomotive like noise's.
Well I waited........and I waited.........and I waited.....nothin' nada' zilch :mad:
Did I mention I was suppose to be on the way to school......ooooow!
After what seemed like days,probably a couple of hours said shucks and left that beautiful huge shiny locomotive sitting there steaming softly to itself.

I'm 65 now but always remembered that day. after going through the usual growing up dating,cars,yadda yadda got interested in model railroading.....and lurking in the back of my mind was that little 7yr old kid....wondering about HIS' engine" that great big black beauty from 1952.the one he never forgot. the one distinct feature remembered was a solid metal pilot!
A few years ago I picked up a issue of Trains magazine and there on the cover was
the BIGGEST! THE SHINEST! THE MOST BEAUTIFUL lOCOMOTIVE' I"ve ever seen.........and it had a solid metal pilot!
Hello old friend' Its been a while.:)

MW261-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back