The A.R.T. of Model Railroading

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Now before you go getting your knickers in a wedgie, this not going to be a diatribe on the virtues of Malcolm Furlow [removes hat] nor will I compare him to Frank Ellison [removes hat] or John Koester Armstrong Allen.

In fact, this is not about art at all. It is about A.R.T. of model railroading. In case you still haven’t figured it out, the dots between the letters means it is an acronym. They stand for:

Anal
Retentive
Tendencies.

Now unless you have the IQ of Sponge Bob and you have a just a circle of track on the carpet and laugh uncontrollably every time your loco falls off the track, you have ART. If you are a model railroader, you have ART. It is just a matter of degree.

And it is incurable. Some people would argue that if you didn’t have ART you would never amount to much of a modeler. I am one of them.

In fact, I would argue that your enjoyment and satisfaction is at its height if you can identify and remain within your ART level. To make it easy for you I have identified the 12 levels of ART so you can categorize yourself.

Read Entire Article

Great Article. And I agree every modeler has different levels of A.R.T. I mean some see absolutely nothing wrong with having hotwheels cars on the roads and parking lots while having brass locos pulling superdetailed freight or passenger trains.

And what's wrong with SpongeBob??!!
220px-Spongebob-squarepants.png

He's actually smarter than some of my coworkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm about a 3.5. :rolleyes:

And Flyboy, THIS is what is wrong with Spongebob. (Or what's wrong with the world; he didn't do this to himself you know.)

spengbab-1.png

And now I'll sit down and try to appear robustly sane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting, mouse... that's an interesting and amusing article. :)

I'm still a zero, because I still don't have a layout yet. :(

But if I did, I'll definitely be a 3 and nothing more...

...because the trackwork will be mechanically sound...

...but there will be absolutely no prototypical accuracy. :p

Greg

Back