The 60/40 Layout And Other Railway Related Things

OK, this is with track and car, that other thing just give me a shout as and when you need them.

1704032350258.jpeg

Spent the day doing nothing but making a list of all my Locomotives (both scales) that I need to divest myself of, the total is 22, all bar one is DC and all work, need to see about the rest of the extra stuff I've collected, passenger cars, buildings etc.

Of my 14 Bachmanns 8 are on the list, they're all either split-chassis or pancake motors, I don't have access anymore to a milling machine to dig out space for decoders, and no one makes a 3D adapter for the Bachmann pancake motor, so out the door, they will go.

I'm going to take them to a dealer, and yes, I know I'll get peanuts for them, but I really can't do the whole fleaBay rigmarole and it's stupid to keep them, they'll never run on my layout. and it's simpler for me, I, hopefully, can clear the lot in one swoop, locos, cars, buildings and track that I'll never use or have use for, I'd rather pass them on to someone who can use them.

I've kept 4 back, 1 Bachmann (can motor), 2 Proto 2000 and one Athearn, I'll see over the next week or so what I'm going to do with them if I keep them that will give me 85 locos (in both scales), it seems I've turned into a bit of a collector. :oops:

Spent the day doing nothing but making a list of all my Locomotives (both scales) that I need to divest myself of, the total is 22, all bar one is DC and all work, need to see about the rest of the extra stuff I've collected, passenger cars, buildings etc.

Of my 14 Bachmanns 8 are on the list, they're all either split-chassis or pancake motors, I don't have access anymore to a milling machine to dig out space for decoders, and no one makes a 3D adapter for the Bachmann pancake motor, so out the door, they will go.

I'm going to take them to a dealer, and yes, I know I'll get peanuts for them, but I really can't do the whole fleaBay rigmarole and it's stupid to keep them, they'll never run on my layout. and it's simpler for me, I, hopefully, can clear the lot in one swoop, locos, cars, buildings and track that I'll never use or have use for, I'd rather pass them on to someone who can use them.

I've kept 4 back, 1 Bachmann (can motor), 2 Proto 2000 and one Athearn, I'll see over the next week or so what I'm going to do with them if I keep them that will give me 85 locos (in both scales), it seems I've turned into a bit of a collector. :oops:
Hay Smudge:
Ima having the same issues - too much stuff. How about thinking of posting them in the 'forsale/trade' thread on this site? You know somebody will get them that wants them with that. One fell swoop may or may not work though.

I have a big veggie box that I have been thinning unwanted/not my era stuff into an am planning on sticking them here. Not concerned about getting 'top' dollar from them; just want them to go where they can be used. For instance, there are a couple of 5 unit well cars that are outside my era, FP45's which would be GN's 'Big Sky' but undecorated. I supposed I should keep 1 or 2 of them just because they started coming out just as my era ends; although I just do not like that scheme. Also a bunch of steamers that just don't fit along with those large tank cars. Anyway, you get the drift.

Later

Hay Smudge:
Ima having the same issues - too much stuff. How about thinking of posting them in the 'forsale/trade' thread on this site? You know somebody will get them that wants them with that. One fell swoop may or may not work though.

I have a big veggie box that I have been thinning unwanted/not my era stuff into an am planning on sticking them here. Not concerned about getting 'top' dollar from them; just want them to go where they can be used. For instance, there are a couple of 5 unit well cars that are outside my era, FP45's which would be GN's 'Big Sky' but undecorated. I supposed I should keep 1 or 2 of them just because they started coming out just as my era ends; although I just do not like that scheme. Also a bunch of steamers that just don't fit along with those large tank cars. Anyway, you get the drift.

Later
That's an idea, there's maybe two or three I could post here that are up to standard for the forum, complete, not marked etc.

The Lokpilot5 I ordered for the Ferromex loco turned up yesterday and installed this morning, loco was added to JMRI and I fussed with the lights a little, I prefer No. board and headlights on at the same time. Ditch lights were strange, F1 for the engineer's side, F2 the other, I'm assuming it's set like that as being prototypical, anyway, both ditch lights are on F1.

Also installed a decoder in an Ilinois Central GE U-30B, (not sure that's right), but I'm certain someone will confirm or deny, also upgraded the lighting to LED.

1704362795922.jpeg

Next in line is this Burlington GP 20, unfortunately it has some issues, need to do a repaint on the roof if I can find something to match.
This is one of the ones I was going to get rid off, but I don't have anything in this colour scheme, so I kept it.

1704362997782.jpeg

Working out if I can fit a decoder buddy to this, not sure of the decoder buddy's dimensons, need to check, if not I'll hardwire a decoder, in the meantime I need to strip it down and give it a really good clean and service.

1704363240407.jpeg

Had some household chores to do, but managed to do a few bits and pieces.

Had to carve a chunk out of my (hopefully) soon to be rebuilt scenery, the problem was the newer, and larger locos due to the large radiator "wing" on the rear didn't have sufficient clearance and were getting caught up against the wall, just waiting for it to dry now.

1704392577085.jpeg

Ran out of weights for the containers, I've used less in each container than I should have, I don't have the sweeping curves that most of you have and I'm worried that too much weight will cause a lot of drag causing problems. The 20' have 20g, 45' 35g (0.7oz, 1.23oz), but I can add more if needed.
I still have 5 containers still to do.

1704393071131.jpeg

Hopefully, I can get the masking done on the GP18 tonight, and do the roof tomorrow.

Last edited:
Got the Burlington GP 18 masked and painted, turned out ok I think.

1704477889560.jpeg

Somewhere along the way I've lost one of the sun visors, and it's no where to be found, so I'll try making one.
Now I'm just waiting for the Kadee couplers to arrive and I can get it programmed,a nd this one is done, Next up is the Bachmann GE 830-7

Back