The 2nd one -> Fords version!?.....[Sorry Henry!]

fast_ian

Hey,

The attached pic unashamedly lifted from here; http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=207538&postcount=11

I think it's about the coolest loco I've ever seen! Imagine that in "my" V&T colors with brightly chromed grilles! Maybe even a photoetch of the Ford herald on the cab. I've *got* to do one!...... ;)

I assume nobody makes it in HO?

If that's correct, and with apologies to Henry ;), I can see the 2nd GE44 being usable;

- Move the steps to the middle - Easy enough, I knocked 'em off a few times after #1 was Pine-Sol'd!
- I can deal with the # of cabinets being "incorrect". No biggie.
- It's coming up with a buck for shaping the grilles I'm struggling with - Obviously cut the existing nose off, but then what? Any ideas?

Also, any recommendations for material to use? Either brass or styrene could work I think - Comments? Experiences?

Ultimately, they'd be finished with AlcladII "bright chrome", which goes over a gloss black enamel......

Any thoughts/ideas & suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers,
Ian

For the grill, you may look to a 1/24th scale model of an older Ford or something like that to see if it's usable ... just a thought. Or, flattened brass rod - it would hold it's shape once conformed to the curve.

For the grill, you may look to a 1/24th scale model of an older Ford or something like that to see if it's usable ...

Not a bad idea! [Only "issue" is it would take 2 car kits, of which I use their grilles! :eek:]

Maybe I'll ask on the model car forum - Thanks!

Or, flattened brass rod - it would hold it's shape once conformed to the curve.

It's getting that curve that I'm struggling with...... Best I've come up with so far is a carved balsa block, and that's just not "working" for me.....

Cheers,
Ian

It's getting that curve that I'm struggling with...... Best I've come up with so far is a carved balsa block, and that's just not "working" for me.....

Cheers,
Ian

Try using one of the blue, cheepo ball-point pens (if that will provide a sharp enough curve). If it's not sharp enough, try the handle of a paint brush. You'll have to probably go beyond the desired angle as the brass will want to snap back into place.

I can't remember but someone has a website about scratch buiilding one in ho scale out of styrene

Wish I could find it! [I've been down numerous "black holes" over the past few hours! ;)

The grill almost looks like the screen off some of the old electric razors. Try Goodwill?

Now we're talkin'! Good idea - Thanks.

I also started looking at Micromarks Photoetch kit, but really can't justify it for two grilles & Ford heralds! [Although, I guess it would be about the same as two car models!.... Hmmm..... ;)]

I'll definitely check out some old razors! [As I'm sure everyone realizes, I'm not a river counter - It's the chrome I've got to have!]

Cheers,
Ian

I found the link!!!!

http://www.dansresincasting.com/GE132 ton PG1.htm

Here is a little more info and a color photo of fords switcher

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/26127.aspx

Also check out a morning sun book called trackside detroit downriver, emery gulash a famous michigan rail photographer which provided most of the pics/slides for the book has many pics of fords switchers steam and diesel. Ford wanted his switchers to look like his cars when fords switching crews had downtime they were polishing the engines even the steamers and they even had chrome parts on them!!! Its a greatbook dont miss out on it

Later,

Devlyn

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a 1000 HP Center cab built by GE in 1937, can't say I've ever seen a model of one though, but I'd say you'd be on the right lines extending the 44-Ton and as ianacole said, a 1/24th scale vehicle grille..

I'm pretty sure I built something like (I think it was a Monogram kit) a FORD 1935 Sedan Delivery van street rod version with a very similar grille a few years ago.. The only downside to that particular model is that the grille tapered towards the bottom, but I'm sure you could fashion a resin mould from something like that as a start!

That is a very cool engine, I enjoyed looking through the build thread!

Your chances of finding a model car grille that fits just right aren't that great. The layered styrene looks pretty good. I'd be inclined to cut sheet metal ribs and solder them together (just like with the styrene, only with metal), then plate (or alclad) it.

Looks like a very cool prototype, and it should be a fun project. :)

I found the link!!!!

http://www.dansresincasting.com/GE132 ton PG1.htm

Here is a little more info and a color photo of fords switcher

http://cs.trains.com/TRCCS/forums/t/26127.aspx

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! Awesome finds!

Also check out a morning sun book called trackside detroit downriver, emery gulash a famous michigan rail photographer which provided most of the pics/slides for the book has many pics of fords switchers steam and diesel. Ford wanted his switchers to look like his cars when fords switching crews had downtime they were polishing the engines even the steamers and they even had chrome parts on them!!! Its a greatbook dont miss out on it.

$60 used on amazon :eek: Even Google Books only has a single page online! I guess I'll order it from the library..... Thanks for the lead.

I particularly like your comment in bold - This is gonna be one "pimpin'" loco!.... I think the first picture suggests there's a trim piece running from the top of the grilles back to the cab - That would look so cool in chrome!

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Ian

That is a very cool engine, I enjoyed looking through the build thread!

+1 Very nicely done. [Styrene really is good stuff!]

Your chances of finding a model car grille that fits just right aren't that great.

+1 Although, something could probably be kitbashed to work. It's the thought of buying two and only using a single part that grates on me!.......

The layered styrene looks pretty good.

Yep, and a *totally* different approach to doing the grilles than was in my mind - Excellent "food for thought".....

I'd be inclined to cut sheet metal ribs and solder them together (just like with the styrene, only with metal), then plate (or alclad) it.

Looks like a very cool prototype, and it should be a fun project. :)

Indeed - As we know, my initial plan is/was to do 'em in PE - Possibly stainless and bend that around a buck to form the shape. The stainless should be "polishable" to a pretty shiny finish I think. And/or break out the Alclad chrome.

Cheers guys - Positively inspirational!
Ian
PS - I brain farted! - For some totally unknown reason I equated GE with GM here! :eek: I figured Henry would never let a GM product dirty his rails!..... Oops!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! Awesome finds!

$60 used on amazon :eek: Even Google Books only has a single page online! I guess I'll order it from the library..... Thanks for the lead.

I particularly like your comment in bold - This is gonna be one "pimpin'" loco!.... I think the first picture suggests there's a trim piece running from the top of the grilles back to the cab - That would look so cool in chrome!

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Ian

wait till you see the ford steamers in that book henry ford could have sold them in dealerships they are that clean!!

Later,

Devlyn

wait till you see the ford steamers in that book henry ford could have sold them in dealerships they are that clean!!

Did he have chrome on the steamers too? :eek:

I love the idea of a pimpin' chrome diesel, but a steamer!? Just seems "wrong" somehow!.....

Cheers,
Ian
PS - I guess they were just clean - A nice prototype for those "scared" of weathering to tackle maybe......

yes the steamers had crhome covers on the steam cylinders, air compressor, the ford logo was chrome alng with the engine #s, handrails and engine piping also look chrome in the pictures!!!

The rods and baker valve gear were polishied

The boiler jacketing was a raw russian iron that when beaten into shape was a highly polished blue gunmetal color

You will see if you look at the book the dirtiest part on the loco is the couplers

The ford center cabs had chrome grilles, trim, handrails, headlight housings, and window trim. The ford logo and engine #s were also chrome!!

Later,

Devlyn

...The ford center cabs had chrome grilles, trim, handrails, headlight housings, and window trim. The ford logo and engine #s were also chrome!!

*Awesome*!

- Chrome trim/logo - Fairly simple 2D shapes of appropriate width in the PE.
- Chrome handrails - I've made a little template for scratch built brass stanchions, and an hoping the previously referenced Micromark chroming kit will take care of them. [At the risk of having Tankist say I could have done it for half price! ;)]
- Window trim - I think "bright chrome BMF" will work for these.
- The headlight housing - On this one, I still have the "holder" (cut off on the V&T version) - I think a chrome bezel at the back of the housing will make the perfect "reference" point for the grilles - It's centered, at the right "height" and the center "vertical post" could have the horizontal arms running from it in the PE - If the damn grille was vertical!.....

As it's angled back, once bent these arms will also angle down, and I don't think that's gonna work! - Unless;

- The angle is small enough that they can be "tweaked" back to horizontal?
- I angle them up in the artwork - So that when bent they level out? - Trouble here is, I'm not sure of how much to angle 'em and don't have any 3D S/W that might help - Any ideas?

Cheers,
Ian

If you've got the body (or a good mockup) in front of you, wrap a bit of paper around the front, draw the shape on it, then flatten it again. Then you have your template for the angle. :)

(This might be a good idea before you run the etch as well, print it out on standard paper, cut the bits out, make sure they all fit right. Scrapping a sheet of paper's a lot easier than chucking out a PE sheet.)

Dunno about "progress pics", but here's rev-3 of the artwork;

- It needs mirroring and the "support arrows" adding yet (on the backside), but I think it's a start. (?)

Given that the first attempt is probably gonna be a "failure", I want to try and learn the system - I may yet add more & thinner lines....... [Comments?]

Cheers,
Ian

Looks good. The smaller you make the grille, the harder it'll be to keep it even when you bend it. Don't forget the sprues. :D

While you're at it, you could etch some trim rings, switch targets, or maybe a wrench to leave lying around a servicing facility... whatever you can put in the extra space. :)

Looks good. The smaller you make the grille, the harder it'll be to keep it even when you bend it. Don't forget the sprues. :D

Indeed! Rev4 has 3 different versions of the (draft) grilles - As can be seen, one with no "surround" and the other two with different thicknesses.

The sprues got added onto the back side (after a "mirror") so *hopefully* nothing can etch itself into oblivion...... *But*, I've been staring at this for so long now I dunno - Anyone see anything I've missed?........

While you're at it, you could etch some trim rings, switch targets, or maybe a wrench to leave lying around a servicing facility... whatever you can put in the extra space. :)

Agreed - I think I need to get one done and then revisit the "sprue" & spacing questions - I don't *think* I've gone below the 0.007" thickness requirement, but now want to see if it will even etch "as expected"......

Cheers,
Ian

Back