The “Give Tony Grief” Thread

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
From the look of things, our weather is not going to improve too much until around June, and I am becoming impatient to get my "new layout" started. As such, I am going to do what I swore I never would - repair, modify, upgrade an existing layout that needs track work done.

One of the turnouts was destroyed as a result of my CMX leaking acetone all over it which subsequently melted all the ties turning the turnout into a useless blob of nickel silver and plastic. This morning I looked at it, and the prospects I have for it and began tearing up the old track so I can lay the new with the possibility of an extension or two:

yYSy4b6.jpg

Cleaning all of this up will take a bit of time BUT hopefully will be worth it and, perhaps, I can incorporate it into the new layout - just thinking out loud guys, nothing more :)

That acetone is nasty stuff! I had a splash of it make some of my foam into slurry some months ago. Had to replace the whole section!

But plans are allowed to change, and it's better to be pulling up and replacing track on an existing layout, than sitting around idly waiting for the weather become nice enough to built anew!

Of course you do - YOUR not doing it!! 🤣🤣🤣

I kinda think it is a reasonable idea as well Mike. Between you and I, I'm going nuts sitting here looking at the layout and not being able to run anything - heck, just being able to run a DC Engine around would make me happy :)

For a little while I struggled with two options, 1. tear this little layout down and build from the ground up OR, 2. leave the little layout and try to incorporate it into the new. Logically the 2nd idea isn't the best way to go BUT, now I think that is the way I will go. I spent a lot of time building the one above, or throwing it together more to the point, but I do like it :)

Your probably right, you tell a kid that something is HOT, they will just have to touch it to find out :)

I used acetone in my CMX for years without an issue. Unfortunately, I got distracted and left the layout with the car running. It got caught (somehow) on the turnout, the acetone kept coming out and bingo - no more turnout - my fault really.

That being said though - I am going over to grief I forgot - anyway, no more acetone :)

Forgot to include this one - two new sets of points:

ihwF6K3.jpg

The top set is for the left hand side as you look at the above picture and the bottom set is for the right hand side as you look at the picture. And yes, it will all become clear in good time my little grass hoppers :)

Grief - every forum has ONE smart ass. How come he has to harass me ?? :rolleyes::oops:🤣🤣

When alls said and done though, I think I can manage to tunnel my way to the beck and attack it from beneath - maybe. Of course if I try that and you don't hear from me for a few days, feel free to call 911 will yu :)

So, seems as though you guys have lit a fire under me - all the old stuff is up and have started putting the new cork road bed down:

bTTaMGC.jpg

Rzm3kVN.jpg

7VMAfNf.jpg

rmtU0H5.jpg

So before I get too carried away with this, the only question that remains is what system to us DC or DCC. A lot more work and wiring with DCC but will be able run a couple of trains if I want to. On the other hand, it isn't a big layout so trying to run 2 trains might be a pain in the rear ???

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Well, since you asked! 🤣 🤣 🤣

I don't know that the wiring is any harder for DCC than DC.

You might need a few more feeders, you don't have any reverse loops (that I can see), so the wiring will be pretty much the same either way you go.

Even if you only choose to run one train you now have the ability to consist and get a few more of those Katos out.

Mike, I guess what I should have said was DCC is more work than DC. I use a set of drop feeders for every length of Flex Track where as with DC I can get away with only 4 or 5 sets of drop feeders around the whole layout. I will have a bit more track, or an "extra line" in the rebuild so in for a penny in for a pound right :)

Now all I have to do is re learn how to set up and run my never before used NCE PH-Pro 5 Amp System ..................... will it never end :oops::rolleyes::p:cool:

Back