Testing a new plan for my dad...

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Well my dad is on the closing steps to start bench work, so I need to get him a plan he can settle on. Hows this look? I know it lacks continuous running, but its the best use of the space to get in what he wants. The only thing I can think, is to make the mine track (lower left) to cross over, and loop around down to the roundhouse. But keeping 22" radius is a toughy.

Here's an updated plan, creating a continuous option, but also making a narrow isle. And it uses 20" curves on the lower left loop.

Here it is

Hello Josh, as promissed,

Layoutplan 5:)
The railwaystation and the freight yard and the roundhouse are on +4 may be +5 inches higher than the mainline. On the top of the drawing under the tracks that is leading to the station you could make a staging yard if there is acces from under the layout.....

Jos

It's a tough one, my garage is 8' 6" by 17' and i thought that was bad. I did a plan but it went right out of the window within days, now i'm building as i go along

Hello Steve B:you wrote:" It's a tough one" You mean : It is a difficult layoutplan? or something like that?

Jos

Trying to cram something decent into the garage while maintaining minimum 24" radius curves is my problem, i was going to put loop's in but they took up to much space (and i don't like stretching over to much layout) so i went round the walls and used a gate/bridge to get in rather than a fixed duck-under. What i have is one track all round, first the train will go round the top level then it goes over a diamond crossing and carries on onto the lower level, eventually it get's back where it started on the top level. by doing this the layout will be no more then 36" deep anywhere making maintanance easy

This is what i did, i have not included and other tracks etc, it's just to give you an idea of what i am doing

Slide1-1.jpg

Alotta good points! Yeah, I'm trying to stick to the bent dog bone idea, to avoid the construction of a gate, or duck unders, while maintaining a continuous loop in the SMALL space of the room. I might have to push the yard throat a little more down & to the right to give enough space. Have yet to see how the 20" as opposed to 22" curves turn out. Nothing permanent yet though, my dad is going to lay out 22" curve templates on the floor this spring, and see how it all fits in.

The reason to avoid Jos's idea with the roundhouse to the upper right, is to allow for easy access. The switching should also be up front (yard & industries). I like the way its all planned out, if it was for my use, I'd do something that way, but we gotta remember, my dad is rolling on 72 years of age, on the 22nd of this month. So its gotta be simple, with little reaching, besides the loops...

Also, of not, there's a number of turnouts which will pretty much require a CVT kit (or the likes, of a curve-able switch), namely the mine (not on the 2nd track plan) to the lower left, and the yard to the middle right.

Hai Josh,

Plan 6: Much better acces to switches or is it still to far??
The "bridge" down at the bottom of the plan is "replaceble" Something like Steve did with his childrens' layout...;)

Jos

Sounds good! I'll have to run that idea through XtraCad, and see how my dad likes it. It requires a bit of hidden track, but we'll see.

Plan 7

Hai Josh,

I've got inspired by Steve B's layout!!.He showed me it is an important thought that you must have "acces" easily to almost every part of the layout. as specialy the turnout/switches( problem areas)
Please don't pay to much intentions to the number of switches and tracks I "designed". I just want to show that there is enough space fot it!
At the right bottom I was thinking of a Mine company with its own track to the station and a small engine house at the top left...

Jos

Thanks! Thats turning my wheels in my head even more. I'm defently going to have to play some more...

Josh,

What era does your Dad model? If it's early 20th century [with shorter-length cars], maybe the tight curves won't be an issue...

Josh,

What era does your Dad model? If it's early 20th century [with shorter-length cars], maybe the tight curves won't be an issue...

1970's to 1980's... But the big issue becomes the locomotives, using the Walthers P2K RS27 & Atlas C424, they like 22" or larger.

Hai Josh,,

Last week I made an "Art impression"....
It is the right corner at the bottom, the coalcompany: JCC......;)

Jos

I'm coming into these plans late, but I'm wondering how much your dad likes operations. If it is a main concern then I suggest using some of your loops to get to a lower level staging yard. It will give him several times the operating ability.

SpaceMouse: Your right...I did planned something like that in the right corner on the bottom: see added drawing. I did not draw it clearly but it is there, a switch/turnout...to a possible staging yard...

Jos

I'm coming into these plans late, but I'm wondering how much your dad likes operations. If it is a main concern then I suggest using some of your loops to get to a lower level staging yard. It will give him several times the operating ability.
Awesome point. I'll have to see how I might be able to squeeze it in. Its a very small room (used to be my Lego room when I was little), and him turning 72 this year, accessibility becomes the pressing issue.

I had a vision last night, thinking of Jos's plans, and I'm going to toy with them today, HOWEVER, I'll throw the Stamp Mill to the upper right, in the inside, with a grade to the lower portion, as most of the Copper Country stamp mills were built close to large supplies of water, and the unprocessed ore was dumped in from a higher grade, I figure it won't hurt none to make it there, with the upper grade area being the dump, and the lower grade being the load out.

This would put/keep the mine to the lower left/middle, the town the the upper left (instead of upper right), and the yard can still be squeezed in the upper middle, or lower right. The roundhouse of coarse, being in the middle right, along with he town, unless I can squeeze the yard over there somewhere. I will try to add a lower level looping off the mill's lower level, then, i guess entering behind the roundhouse again?

Back