Testers (Rustoleum) Dullcote

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Does anyone know of any place that you can still buy Dullcote from, OTHER THAN Evilbay that is?

If it really has gone into the history books - what do you guys use as a substitute for it?

Does anyone know of any place that you can still buy Dullcote from, OTHER THAN Evilbay that is?

If it really has gone into the history books - what do you guys use as a substitute for it?
I no longer can handle the smell and switched to the clear coat finishes by VMS that I can spray from my air brush.

Amazon has the Testors Dull Cote
512C4BF8-8C74-4164-B42D-6B72AFA1C0DD.png

The Krylon 1310 which I liked is no longer available. I did find a smaller rattle can clear matt spray at Michaels which seems to be OK, I do have about 1/2 bottle of the real Dullcoat which I have had for quite a while.

Testors Dull Cote has indeed been discontinued. I bought out the supply at my LHS and I am considering Amazon right now. It's a shame that Rust-oleum just recently bought them out and is discontinuing all of their products without offering a suitable substitute.
Yeah it is a huge shame but that is what Rustoleum has done to Tester's from the very beginning. They say they support modelling and/or hobbies but discontinue everything that the people they claim to support use. All they did was to eliminate a competitor who apparently thought more about the money than the people who would ultimately be effected.

I primarily use Tamiya spray cans for top coating, I've got their Flat, Gloss, Semi-Gloss, and even an odd can of Pearl Clear that I picked up for some reason, on my workbench. Just took a look downstairs, I've even got a few leftover cans of Model Master flat and gloss top coat too, but I'm guessing they don't make those anymore either?

At some point I plan to try the Mr. Hobby series of top coats. I've been impressed with their primers, called "Mr. Surfacer" followed by a number indicating fineness. They appear to have a series of clear finishes called "Mr. Super Clear" and "Mr. Premium Topcoat." My LHS carries many of their products, but it appears they are on Amazon too. Another possibility is to see if there are any Gundam/Warhammer/model figure stores near you--many of them carry some hobby supplies due to the rise of anime and figure modeling with those communities. I recently discovered Citadel shade paints at one of those stores, it's like a pre-mixed color wash that can be used for weathering.

It's hard to find a Japanese hobby product that doesn't work remarkably well.

I have been using the 3 clear products from VMS. The matte, satin and gloss what they call varnishes. As mentioned above I was getting overwhelmed by the Testors Dull Cote smell and the LHS can now only get in in the bottle.

Vms-supplies.com

Is the site I buy from and it arrives about 10 days after placing the order.

It is very low odor, and IMO sets on the model just great. I experimented about 6 months with it before starting to use it on my weathering commissions. I’ve not had excess buildup as it seems to self level. Straight from the squeeze bottle into the air brush cup and it seems to go a long way. Airbrush cleanup is my normal 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I have added drops of Tamiya Arcylic to do a fade and it’s fine but Vallejo Air was a fail IMO.

I now also have the clear coats from Vallejo and AK Interactive but I am not at this time comfortable enough to use them on my commission weathering.

It’s my understanding from the LHS that Testors has or is eliminating the spray can production for modeling but you are still able to purchase the dull cote for air brush use. All rumor of course from around the coffee pot there but they sometimes get it right. No matter to me, the smell is what finally stopped my purchases of the spray can

The Krylon 1310 which I liked is no longer available. I did find a smaller rattle can clear matt spray at Michaels which seems to be OK, I do have about 1/2 bottle of the real Dullcoat which I have had for quite a while.
I sure hope Krylon doesn't discontinue all of its matte and gloss clear sprays entirely. They have been my go-to for the bulk of my projects for the past several years now.
I still have some Testor's Dullcote in spray cans that I might use for very intricate, discerning projects. Fortunately, I have a home-made spray booth with exhaust to the great outdoors, so any offending odors of any spray paints are of little concern to me.

I have been using the 3 clear products from VMS. The matte, satin and gloss what they call varnishes. As mentioned above I was getting overwhelmed by the Testors Dull Cote smell and the LHS can now only get in in the bottle.

Vms-supplies.com

Is the site I buy from and it arrives about 10 days after placing the order.

It is very low odor, and IMO sets on the model just great. I experimented about 6 months with it before starting to use it on my weathering commissions. I’ve not had excess buildup as it seems to self level. Straight from the squeeze bottle into the air brush cup and it seems to go a long way. Airbrush cleanup is my normal 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. I have added drops of Tamiya Arcylic to do a fade and it’s fine but Vallejo Air was a fail IMO.

I now also have the clear coats from Vallejo and AK Interactive but I am not at this time comfortable enough to use them on my commission weathering.

It’s my understanding from the LHS that Testors has or is eliminating the spray can production for modeling but you are still able to purchase the dull cote for air brush use. All rumor of course from around the coffee pot there but they sometimes get it right. No matter to me, the smell is what finally stopped my purchases of the spray can
I tried the VMS.COM website, it took me to fleaBay, and the same seller I was looking at in Poland, anyway ordered a 100ml bottle of matt, the Vellejo I have for satin and gloss work is OK for me, but their matt just isn't up to the job.

@Smudge617

I tried going to their website as well BUT they blocked me because I refused to turn off my VPN. VPN's are for personal security and privacy, anyone that wants you to do away with that is a bit questionable in my opinion.

B27hHlb.jpg

Aside from that, it doesn't appear as though they offer a clear coat in a Spray, at least not one that I could find and I much prefer an aerosol clear to a "brush on". Just a personal preference. So with that being said I will be removing all of my local Hobby Lobbies Dullcote this Tuesday and will be sticking with Tamiya clear coats from then on ;)

Last edited:

Back