Terminal Block Question

mattm1124

Good morning all,

Question for you. I bought this terminal block recently. Can I just use a power pack to power this block? If so, what output would I need? I plan on powering a few smaller lights for buildings. Right now, the power packs I have are 12 volts output.

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221117_105325_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221117_105325_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 54
A 12v-16v wall wart/power pack would be fine, just ensure if using LED's/SMD's to add correct resistors to them.

Any DC power supply will work. For LED's, 5v or 12v will work jut fine. Use a 470 ohm resistor for 5v or a 1000 ohm resistor for 12v in series with the LED.

Any DC power supply will work. For LED's, 5v or 12v will work jut fine. Use a 470 ohm resistor for 5v or a 1000 ohm resistor for 12v in series with the LED.
Thank you! Are you able to send me links for the resistors? Pretty sure I found them online, but want to be sure.

Thank you! Are you able to send me links for the resistors? Pretty sure I found them online, but want to be sure.
No point in me giving you a link for them, I'm in the UK. but your LHS will have them, or just Google

1000 ohm resistor for 12v

They'll look like this.

1668713565516.png

Last edited:
Your LHS will have them, or just Google

1000 ohm resistor for 12v

They'll look like this.

I don't have a link for the resistors, but any 1000 ohm 1/8 or 1/4 watt will work. Amazon has kits that come in many different values .If you want your LED a little dimmer, you can go up in value to 2000 or 4000 ohms or higher. For a brighter LED you can go down as low as 560 ohms.

Yes, then insulate the wires so you don't get a short circuit.
20 second job and your done.
I appreciate the help! Another question. I'm guessing this wouldn't be recommended, but if I'm using a 12 volt wall wart, could I just splice 2 sets of lights to it? I know it would be enough power but didn't know if it was safe to do that.

I appreciate the help! Another question. I'm guessing this wouldn't be recommended, but if I'm using a 12 volt wall wart, could I just splice 2 sets of lights to it? I know it would be enough power but didn't know if it was safe to do that.

You could, but definitely not recommended, it's simply not a safe way to do it, also you may want to add further lighting at a later date (building or more street lights or something else that needs 12v), so much easier and safer to use a Distribution Board from your LHS or Amazon (their around $5.00), something like this one (I have 4 of them) is ideal .

As you can see this has a socket that your wall wart plugs directly into, or you wire in directly via the two screw-in points next to it.

1668888648963.png

Are you intending to have manual or electrically operated turnout's ?

Back