Ten-Wheeler Circa 1887

Fishplate

While going through some old boxes I found this engine I built when I was in college--my last HO project before I switched to N scale. It was built from a Tyco/Mantua Sierra RR 4-6-0 following an article by Al Turner in the August 1981 Model Railroader.
View attachment 12625
I used a Dremel tool and homemade jig to mill a new slot for the rear driver axle. The pilot, headlight bracket, and smokestack are commercial castings. The cab is built from styrene. The lead truck and tender are from an MDC steamer. If I remember correctly, I used Accu-Paint and Champ decals. There used to be a working coupler link on the pilot, but it must have fallen off at some point.

Now I like that engine!! Excellent 10 wheeler. I will have to find that article so I can build one now. You could also get the lead truck from the 4-8-0 mastidon that they also made. Mike

Now that I think about it, the lead truck might have been an AHM (Rivarossi) part. I can't remember for sure.

Still a very fine looking engine. It holds up very well compared to most models sold today. I have a few engines I scratchbuilt from from the 70's but they look absolutely awful compared to almost anything you can buy now. I thought they looked good then. :)

Back