Teen hit and killed by train in florida!

:(

almost got under train myself, was 5 or so. way to our fishing spot was crossing tracks and there was no official crossing anywhere near as it was in sort of bigger patch of urban forest reservation. i think that section was faster one as i never seen train there crawling or draggin. the electric passanger trains were always flying by. the tracks were walled by high bushes with several spots cut through. so there is my happy face all exited about going fishing, running in front of grandpa right into the opening and train just blows right in front of me. never heard or seen it coming and suddenly i was deafened and blown back by the air blast. to say he scared the living sh...t out of me will not really say it. probably the scariest thing ever, this is the first time i remember my self thinking "what would have happened if i was just a ted faster". probably not even a dent on the engine...

In doing some railfanning trips where I could stop and take a picture, I've found that trains are pretty quiet when not blowing the horn or ringing the bell. It didn't matter if they were going fast or or slow, they could be up on you rather quickly if your attention is focused elsewhere.

That's one reason why I don't understand the concept of "quiet zones." The people who came up with them must not have ever just sat by some tracks away from grade crossings and waited for a train.

That's sad, didn't even make it into the "real world" out of high school. There was a teen killed a few miles from my house not long ago with the same circumstances, but he had his radio up to loud in his car and was sitting on the tracks. A lot of teens don't realize how destructive trains can be if you're not careful. Operation lifesaver used to put on yearly presentation here with the fire and police depts using a locomotive and recreating an accident but they haven't done it in a while and accidents have increased.

Very sad to see one die from such a foolish mistake. but on the other hand anyone that disregards there own safty should be very aware of their sourondings. just like the first time we touched that hot stove. I bet we never did it again... Hope the family does not go sue crazy and respects that it was their sons fault walking on tracks with head phones on.

Sorry, but that kid looked like a typical LA gangbanger and mom telling him not to walk on the tracks because he could get "jumped" confirms that, since railroad tracks were often dividing lines between gang territories. His wrestling buddies didn't look too savory either. I guarantee he would have seen that train in LA because he would have been looking over his shoulder a lot to see if another bunch of gangster were coming to jump him. I guess he hadn't got into the gang scene in Florida yet. I hate to see anyone die but, with number of drive-by's and stabbing deaths I saw, a lot kids his age die now for no good reason. :(

We have or had the same problem of kids walking along the tracks while wearing their stupid earphones. Sure enough the friggen middle school is next to the tracks, and they make a convenient if dangerous shortcut into down town for the kids who live there.

at what point did this kid's mom say "don't walk along the tracks, you will get jumped OR hit by one of those big fast moving metal things? besides being tied to the rails by some mustachioed villain in a top hat, there aren't too many excuses for being hit by a train unless you are absolutely either very very young and don't know better yet, or are mentally deficient in some way. it's a shame when anyone, regardless of age is killed like that. and it's terribly traumatic to the crew in the cab. some engineers can never get over it. always bothers me how the crew is completely forgotten about in those reports. the person they hit is dead, but they have to live with it for the rest of their lives. but if someone thinks walking along an Amtrak corridor with their headphones on is a good idea, it's just a matter of time. once again, it's a tragedy when anyone gets killed like that, and he probably didn't deserve to die like that. hopefully his story might make a couple of people think twice about doing something like that in the future though, and then maybe he didn't die for nothing

You know, if he were a rail fan with camera in hand somebody like a Cop would have said something to him! But being a Teen No one questions him? Go figure:confused::rolleyes:

You know, if he were a rail fan with camera in hand somebody like a Cop would have said something to him! But being a Teen No one questions him? Go figure:confused::rolleyes:

Megh----

Typical ----- we saw that a lot up here----see RRCop questioning some guy with a camera and see someone walking along tracks--or ON tracks ---no one bothers to say anything..:eek::(

I had to remind one RRCop that there were people who walked on the tracks and that there was a no trespass on them too....:rolleyes:

Megh----

Typical ----- we saw that a lot up here----see RRCop questioning some guy with a camera and see someone walking along tracks--or ON tracks ---no one bothers to say anything..:eek::(

I had to remind one RRCop that there were people who walked on the tracks and that there was a no trespass on them too....:rolleyes:

I think if we wear Thug clothes and talk and walk thugish and hide the camera we would be left a lone too! I think Cops are more afraid of those thugs and are less so with us! What are we going to do snap a pic of the cop.LOL's:D....where's if they mess with the thug them may get shot!:confused::rolleyes: O'Well it's our lot in life!;):p

Trouble, I think kids today have a different type of situational awareness. When I was a kid, my mom told me to not walk on the tracks because I might get hit by a train and killed. Now, it's you might get jumped by thugs from another gang and killed. The danger from a train is secondary. I suspect a lot of people don't even think many trains even use the tracks now.

The effects of this kind of accident on crews is also rarely mentioned but it is profound. I only worked one pedestrian killed on the tracks when I was a deputy and the engineer was so badly distresed by the experience that they had to get another crew to take the train into Richmond. I'm sure it will haunt him until the day he dies.

It is interesting that the railroad police seem to be concentrating so much on railfans with cameras now compared to the amount of trespassers who are regularly on the tracks. Until 9/11, the UP/SP police spent a lot more time citing trespassers. Our department had a helicopter and we'd work with them doing sweeps of the tracks and radioing in any people on the tracks so the UP/SP police could get them. After 9/11, homeland security became a big deal and the whole empasis changed. I'd be interested to see figures of how many people have been killed on tracks post-9/11 compared to pre-9/11.

When I was a kid, my mom told me to not walk on the tracks because I might get hit by a train and killed.

Dang your mom was NICE!:(

Mine told me, "Go ahead and play on the tracks(or street)!"..........."Now, I know why animals eat their young!!!!" Heck. My Mom would nail my favorite toy's to the yellow center line of the street to keep me there as long as she can! Well , as you can tell I'm still alive.......THANKS MAW!;):p

Back