Switchlist Generators

Infern0

Hello All,

I'm currently looking for a switchlist generator program to use on my N Scale switching layout. I need it to be able to put specific cars using reporting marks at specific shippers/receivers. I don't want to use car cards. I have Windows Vista. Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

Infern0

If you're looking for a freebie, JMRI has in the Panel Pro module a switchlist generator. Its located under Tools--Operations. It has demo files that can be loaded and followed to assist you in setting this up.

Rail-op is another switchlist generator, but is not free. This is a very excellent piece of software that allows you to even do more. It too, has great tutorials for setting up and using.

There are others, but these are the two I'm most familiar with.

I second the recommendation for JMRI Operations program. Been using it a while now, and it's great.

It keeps track of where your car movements are. Prints out nice switch lists and waybills. Easy to read.

Thanks for the input. I liked what RailOp had to offer until further research. Seems the RailOp Yahoo Group is REALLY DESPONDED about the lack of support. Todays messages on their group made me run ! (see: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RailOp/messages ) I refuse to pay out big money for a program that has not tech support or might not work on the next version of Windows.

JMRI seems a bit intimating but it sure beats car cards. I'll learn it and I'll support the developer.

Infern0

SUCCESS ! It took 4-5 hrs of trial and error learning the JMRI program but well worth the time and effort. Inputting the reporting marks into the program took the longest. Learning how to input the locations and siding lengths was a bit tricky at first but now it seems to all flow smooth. I generated 4 lists and they worked flawlessly.

JRMI works for me ! Thanks !

If you ever feel the need to take Operations further, check out ProTrak. It's on the expensive side, but it works beautifully and the tech support is the best of any software I have ever owned, bar none.

Has anyone dabbled in electronic car identification and tracking? Some sort of system where when a car or locomotive enters a zone there is a record update in a database to keep track of the equipment? My club is talking about accomplishing this with RFID and fairly simple backend software. Seems like a really simple and effective solution, which could then be really helpful in generating switch lists for hundreds of cars and a dozen or more switch operator locations.

Has anyone dabbled in electronic car identification and tracking? Some sort of system where when a car or locomotive enters a zone there is a record update in a database to keep track of the equipment? My club is talking about accomplishing this with RFID and fairly simple backend software. Seems like a really simple and effective solution, which could then be really helpful in generating switch lists for hundreds of cars and a dozen or more switch operator locations.

Might want to join this group if you havent already.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RFID4MRR/

SUCCESS ! It took 4-5 hrs of trial and error learning the JMRI program but well worth the time and effort. Inputting the reporting marks into the program took the longest. Learning how to input the locations and siding lengths was a bit tricky at first but now it seems to all flow smooth. I generated 4 lists and they worked flawlessly.

JRMI works for me ! Thanks !

Hurray for our side!!!;):D Glad you got it working. Rail-op's tech support is virtually non-existent, but I haven't had a situation that has required much on the large layout we use it on, and most of the problems were solved in the Yahoo group.

From what I understand, the author of the program is getting on in years, and IIUC, (If I Understand Correctly), wants to have someone else take over. I may be wrong in this.

Back