Switching from HO Scale to N Scale

redsoxfan423

I'm a teenager who spends some of his hard-earned money on model trains. I currently have between 5 and 10 HO DCC engines and Bachmann's E-Z Command system. I have enough E-Z Track to make a double-track mainline with a crossover and a yard. I have a large fleet of rolling stock, about half newer and half older cars.

Unfortunately, I have little space to put the trains in. For most of the year, they sit in the attic in boxes. I'm starting to realize that N scale would much better fit my space, and after perusing Kato's website and seeing all the Unitrack packs, it seems like a good idea. However, selling a bunch of my stuff would be time-consuming, and I cannot afford to just start over. Any ideas on what to do? Would E-Z Command work just as well with the new N Scale? I have no plans; I've just gotten tired of having my trains sit in the attic all year long.

Thanks,
Greg

The E-Z Command controller will work fine with N scale but that's a very small part of your total investment. If you have enough room for a N scale layout, you should have enought room for an HO switching layout at least. Exactly how much space do you have? You would get almost nothing for your HO equipment if you sold it so you might as well try to use what you have in the space you have. Once we know how much space you have, we can make some layout suggestions.

I agree with Jim, it would be a very costly effort to start all over again, although there is the argument of building a small N scale layout for now and keeping your HO scale stuff for when you do have the space and time required to build a larger layout.

Remember you could even build a micro layout in 4 square feet in HO, much like I'm doing, although you don't get a lot of mainline action, you can still have realistic operation in such a small space, believe it or not! Check out http://www.carendt.com for more on micro layouts!

I think, before you decide, consider all the options and the costs involved. One way or another I think it would be silly to sell your collection of HO stuff, but that's just my 2c worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I honestly have no plans for a model railroad. I'm a guy who just likes setting the trains out on a table or something and running them. I do like having a couple of buildings like a station, but I'm not into building scenery, especially since I'm about to go off to college. I just really want to let them run, with a little switching. In my current situation, I hardly have room for a double track mainline in HO. That's why N scale seems so enticing. I wouldn't say I've spent a huge amount of money since most of my cars are inherited, most of my DCC engines are the $40 ones from Bachmann, and I only use E-Z track. I just hate that my trains end up in the attic, especially since I already have Lionel sitting up there.

Kato Unitrack is fantastic and would work for what you want to do. The EZ Command works fine, but I would not worry about DCC at the moment and just get a Kato starter set that has a DC power pack in it. Later on you can add some decoders to an engine or two and pull out the Bachmann.

If your trains are in the attic now, its not like you are starting over, but rather you are starting again.

Back