Switches

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

SpaceMouse

Fun Lover
Depends on the switch machine. With the exception of Tortoise-like switch machines the are usually momentary switches with the default "open"

I think on most a SPDT center off switch will work but the switch would have to return to center on its own. You wouldnt want to forget to turn it off. I had some wired that way on an old layout. Not sure what you have that may make a difference.

CIOR

Central Indiana & Ohio RR
Depending on switch machine. I use Tortoise machines and use DPDT switches to control them.
On the Atlas and types like that, you can use a SPDT and momentary contact switches to do that trick.

I am using N scale Bachman EZ track switches. The switch box they come with is rather large and I wanted to make a control board with different switches.

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
I am using N scale Bachman EZ track switches. The switch box they come with is rather large and I wanted to make a control board with different switches.
You'll need something capable of momentary power. Twin coil machines are easily burned out if power is continually applied.

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Click-->

For each set of turnouts, I use a pair of these little dandies. Normal open momentary contact push button switches from Radio Shack.

Willis

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.