Swimming Pool Car

fairbro

Picked up these unique items up at a recent auction here in Kansas. Everything was HO. The last item on the agenda was the layout itself. The seller had built it into the garage, and it was about 20' by 35'-40'. The middle part was open, where the operator could stand. One side was urban, the other rural. Hundreds of freight and passenger cars, and loco's, diesels, 100 or so structures, a complete model city from the junkyard on the outskirts of town to the Bijou theatre playing "African Queen" downtown, all in 1950's motif. I asked if the buyer would have to take, and move, the whole layout and yes, so I couldn't bid on it, I don't have anyplace to put it. And it would not break down into pre-fab yard-size pieces like the layouts you see at shows. Someone got it for $140...

I don't know what to call the first car - "Swimming Tank" car? "Recreational Railways"? It is labeled "Kansas Seashore State Park." The other is a cute little diorama - "Tornado, KS, Model Railroad Club."

IMG_4457.JPG IMG_4460.JPG IMG_4454.JPG

It is labeled "Kansas Seashore State Park."
That is interesting. My Kansas home is called "Fossil Shore Estate" or just "Fossil Shores" for short. Where was this auction?

What to call it? Is that originally a water tank car or a pickle car? If the latter, then "pickled people".

Back