Suggestions on this layout?

jonyb

I'm changing up my layout from what I had before. I'm using code 100 Flex, #6 switches, and a couple #4 switches. I have a few more #6 switches coming if needed.
The curve where the engine is sitting is way too close together, so I'm going back to widen that out a bit. The inside track will be moved in, but still follow the mainline. Where the buildings are will be a downtown area with a street in the middle, and buildings on both sides. The side where the engine house is will be an industrial area with a 130' turntable (if I can ever find one).
Where should I go from here? Any suggestions?
DSCN0769.png

DSCN0768.png

DSCN0767.png

DSCN0766.png

DSCN0765.jpg

DSCN0764.jpg

DSCN0763.jpg

Get your spacing figured out and tack the track down.
Run the layout for a few weeks and get a handle on yur likes and dislikes.
Keep looking at other plans and try to incorporate what you like about them into yours.
When you have something you like try gluing down some landforms with more styrofoam, maybe cut dome low reliefs or a stream.
Pretty much trial and error!

That's what I've been doing, tacking it down as I go. I'm kind of looking for suggestions on sidings and such, and where to go from where I've stopped. I probably won't glue anything down once it's complete, I'm using 1.25" pins and they're holding pretty good so far.

The DD40 is a pretty big loco for tight curves.
Will a 130' turntable fit in front of the round house and allow the tracks to align with the stalls?
Anyway, is that foam fireproof? You might want to take a small piece of it outside and put a match to it and see how fast it goes up in flames.
What is your control system, i.e. DCC or DC?

Looks like a nice start but how do you intend to get underneath the table to wire everything with those cabinets under there?

The DD40 is a pretty big loco for tight curves.
Will a 130' turntable fit in front of the round house and allow the tracks to align with the stalls?
The plan is to add the Walthers 130' turntable in front of the round house, but once again they've been pushed back. It's march now. That section of the table is a little over 5' wide, and 9' long.

Anyway, is that foam fireproof? You might want to take a small piece of it outside and put a match to it and see how fast it goes up in flames.
What is your control system, i.e. DCC or DC?
It's probably just as much fireproof as the cabinets underneath, or anything else in that area. The only time power is on is when I'm present, otherwise any power to everything pertaining to the track is disconnected from power.

Control system is DCC. I'm using a Bachmann Dynamis, but I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Digitrax RF system....

Looks like a nice start but how do you intend to get underneath the table to wire everything with those cabinets under there?
Only the outside is lined with cabinets. The inside section of the "L" is exposed underneath, and I can access every inch from 1 end to the other. I plan to use black curtains across there once it's done.

Think 3-d... how about some rises and dips? Terrain is never flat.
I do agree that the one thing you might want to think about is wider curves. do you know the radius you're at?

All of the mainline is around 22-24*, and I'm trying to integrate that in the branchline as well. All of the turnouts so far are #6. I've got the EZ-Track 22* curves that I use to help form the curves when tacking down the track.

Where the tunnel portals are will be a mountain. I may try to integrate a riser on the mainline where it exits the tunnel, to just before it goes into the switches. I just hate to do that and be reaching across it when trying to work on something on the center of the layout.

I would Agree that the DD40 will be a pain for the tight corners We had One On our layout In GA and it did not Like tight Corners,The layout looks Great A a little tight to Work Under it But good start

Looks like you're going for a double track main? I approve. On the operations side it makes things more fun.

I think if you want suggestions though you'll have to tell us what you're looking for. Switching? Mainline hauling?

Since the first pics, it is a double main. I'll take some current pics. The Roundhouse won't be going on this layout, it's going on a future upgrade, can't find a turntable and tired of waiting for Walthers.

Back