Strip a KATO?

The best way to strip a Kato is to sand blast it with baking powder.

I've used scale coat paint stripper, it gets most of the paint off but takes a few dips to do it.

Well, yes. I had stripped 3 RS-1's using the BF, and they seemed to do OK. I took them out of the BF, and rinsed them with water. I set them aside to dry. When I picked the first one up, the body had cracks in it like dried up mud. Apply just a little pressure and the body crumbled. The others did the same.

These were the Kato RS-1's sold by Atlas in the early '80s. Took me more than 6 months to track down 3 undec'd shells to replace them. Customer got a free paint job.

Try rubbing alcohol and some cotton swabs. It will take most surface details like stripes off without damaging the underlying paint.

Rs-1

These were the Kato RS-1's sold by Atlas in the early '80s. Took me more than 6 months to track down 3 undec'd shells to replace them. Customer got a free paint job.[/QUOTE]

6 mounths ?????? I just ordered an RS-1 undec shell, alone with a few other parts, from the Atlas web site and I had it in just a few days

Larry

6 mounths ?????? I just ordered an RS-1 undec shell, alone with a few other parts, from the Atlas web site and I had it in just a few days

Larry

This was before the advent of the internet. There wasn't any going on line, looking stuff up. I think I spent over $200 in phone charges tracking them down from 3 different places. Atlas didn't have any. They were the first place I tried.

Back