Streetons Mill - Northwestern Pacific Railroad

NWP Dave

These are the first logging camp structures for the Streeton's Mill (2'x4') diorama that I have been working on. The mill was one of many located in redwood country between Occidental and Monti Rio California in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The ROW is still visible in the area but nothing remains of the mill that I know of. There are a few photographs available through the Northwestern Pacific Railroad Historical Society ( http://www.nwprrhs.org ) and the online Sonoma County library offers a few photos. The area and history fascinates me since I lived there for many years.

For model railroading, the 6 miles between Occidental and Monte Rio had saw mills, bridges and trestles, one tunnel, Dutch Bill Creek, mountains, the Russian River and the redwoods. It's the perfect mix for everything for a logging layout. My next project is the mill itself.

Streetons Update

I have been adding details to one corner of the diorama and wanted share a pic of the progress. The plan was to start working on the mill but I decided to have some fun with scenery instead. The shacks are not set yet and I have not finished the creek bed for water.

Update: I still haven't gotten motivated to build the mill. I have been working on trees. Even sold a few on Ebay. Hopefully I attached some new photos. I wanted a couple of big redwood trees in the foreground to enhance the perspective. I plan to have group of big trees in each front corner. The big trees are carved out of 2"x2" redwood, stained with alcohol/India ink wash the dusted with AIMs powders. The "widow makers" (redwood lingo for dead branches) are made from rosemary cuttings. I regularly visit this site and love to see everyone having fun with model railroading.

Attachments

• 100_5947.jpg
    100_5947.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 285
  • 100_5934.jpg
    100_5934.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 296
Last edited by a moderator:

Back