steel wire closet shelf for layout?

Nntheattic

Nntheattic
As part of a new layout in my attic I am starting with a terrain for trains Smokey Hollow and thinking about extending it with wire shelving materials from Home Depot or Lowes covered wth pink foam. I feel that you could use the wall brackets to put the backdrop on with magnets and raise or lower part of the shelf to put bridges along the wall. Will have a turnaround at the end and back to the terrain-for-trains starter module and a hollow core door for a yard. My question is has anyone used this type of support for the around the wall layout and what are the drawbacks. It would seem that you could find a way to hold the shelf support brackets down so that it would not fly up if accidentally hit.:confused:

> To hold them in place

At least some of the systems have a plastic dog that goes in the slot and locks them in place.

Aack! I just hit edit instead of quote! Sorry! Please feel free to put your original post back...

(Admins have the ability to edit posts so they can delete stuff like nasty words or fix urls etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have also seen a brace that hooks on the shelf and goes down at a 45 degree angle to the wall below it so that if you used a few of those type braces it would keep the shelf from riding up or the supporting brackets from rising up. As far a the shelves, they are made like a shelf in an oven only in 6 or 8 foot lengths. The are the type shelves they make closet shelves from. The wiring should be easy without having to drill or cut through the shelf material. You just pass the wiring through the "grill work."

A local hobby shop in Seattle (the Electric Train Store) has used wire shelves to make a nice looking large scale overhead loop. I think it looks pretty good.

Back