Steam returns to Southern (OK Norfolk Southern)!!!

jtudor

Norfolk Southern announced yesterday they are going back into the Steam business, and quickly too:

http://www.nscorp.com/nscportal/nsc...es/2010/steam-to-ride-the-NS-rails-again.html

This is outstanding news, I have been so jealous of those who live in the western US and have access to the UP and and the 4449 and other steam excursions without having to travel across country. Now it will finally be close to me again.

I am saving my pennies now for my first steam excursion since 1982! (the train that never returned, well almost never) Thats another story by itself.

Awesome. I got to ride one of the last excursions (when it was still SOU) as a kid. I'd love to do it again, for much farther, if possible.

Thats a fantastic turn up for the books, you have been missing so much, we get steam trains coming through at least once a month, most i saw was three in one day about 4 years ago now. :D

This is one of the reasons I own NSC stock. Not only are they are well run, profitable railroad, they still have some connection to their past. Unlike Steve, we'll probably never have the chance to see the amount of steam they have in the UK, but at least it's a start.

It'd be pretty neat to see some of those locomotives on the rails. I know a lot of us younger folks myself included never saw a working steam locmomotive anywhere other than in movies.

I got to go on one of these steam excursions on the Southern/infantile NS in 1982ish from Greensboro,NC to Altavista,VA. Great memories. Hope I can take my boys one day soon!

wasn't Southern the first to run Diesel? Kind of ironic (in a good way!).

Not that i know of. Canadian national was the first to use them in Mainline service, but because of the Kaufman act, NY City railroads began using them because it banned steam locomotives from NY City due to polution problems. The CN used the mainline diesels in 1929, the Kaufman act was enacted in 1917.

Oh... wait... I am somewhat right. They were the first class one railroad to convert completely to diesel power. I was in the ballpark... just way out in left field.

7.gif
7.gif

Back