Station with sound

Ok not really sure where I can put this as its something to me that falls under multiple areas, scenery, layout and DCC/buildings....so here goes...

I want to build a train station (obviously) or find one prebuilt, yes I know Tyco or some company used to make one with sound part of it, but I don't want that as I want to use my own custom announcements. so my question is whats the best way to have a station that can play announcements BUT remain as self contained as possible, I don't have a true layout bench right now so any thing I make more or less has to be self contained as much as possible.

at this time I have a simple system that uses a CD player, with a cord running from the 3.5mm jack to two or so speakers to play the announcements so far, but I want to try and make something more "compact" or self contained if possible...

so with that in mind anyone have any ideas?

My suggestion would be an MP3 player with one of the small speakers they make specifically for MP3s. You didn't mention the size of station you were using, but this should even fit in a medium sized N scale station. Simply plug the player into a computer for charging and to download new announcements. Some MP3s have their own chargers you might be able to use to power the unit continuously. This isn't a big step up from what you have, but it would be much more compact........and if you wanted you could always use the MP3 when you go jogging.

Station Sounds

Try ITTC Products on the internet. They have a variety of different sound effects. I just wired my ITTC grade crossing circuit for the modern bells and it works great.

You can wire a switch in the circuit to control when you want the sound effects.

Their web site has sample sounds for their products.

Greg

well I am not going that complicated yet, im just starting simple so I can learn how to do different things, but I will look into that also, is there a web site for the ITTC? or is it just a brand of products?

Sound Effects

Yes, they have a web site and I forgot to mention that the circuit board will install under your layout along with the speaker you selected. Connect it to a power source, wire the speaker and a switch to turn it on and off and your done. A couple of hours of enjoyment and you have sound effects.

Check out their website - ITTC Products.com. I had a tech question that I emailed to them last night and this morning ITTC had replied. Great service.

Greg

at this time I have a simple system that uses a CD player, with a cord running from the 3.5mm jack to two or so speakers to play the announcements so far, but I want to try and make something more "compact" or self contained if possible...

so with that in mind anyone have any ideas?
Yes there are bunches of electronic mp3 type players out there. They are tiny and cheap and usually rechargeable. I got one for each of the children for their Christmas stockings. You could move the sound off your CD into one of them.

cool, if I do the MP3 option is there a good decient quality one that is still small and compact that you suggest looking at? I would like it to be self contained and rechargeable (no extra batteries needed type thing) as I just want to try and keep it simple, down the road if i can I want to set things up so the trains can (depending on the engine) trigger a specific sound that is "assigned" to that engine, and then the more general announcements like unattended luggage announcements and things like that are just played automaticially at random...

if I do the MP3 option is there a good decient quality one that is still small and compact that you suggest looking at? .
Well I don't use one personally, I don't see much difference in the "quality", but they are everywhere....
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vertigo-2GB-MP3-Player-Assorted-Colors/21672201

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mach+Sp...lver/3615043.p?id=1218419752424&skuId=3615043

http://www.lightinthebox.com/stylish-tf-micro-sd-card-reader-mp3-player_p235608.html

I just went through the same thing with a Saw Mill. I thought the cheap 8-10 buck MP3 players (4 different ones), no go, they all required pressing some button(s) to get them going and soldering on those tiny things was beyond me. I eventually found a suitable one on ebay for 5 bucks, but then I needed a timer which cost me 10 bucks then I needed TWO power supplies, one for the MP3 and one for the timer, then there was the cost of a small SD card. What a mess, the commercial ones mentioned above are a LOT less complicated and will cost about the same as the commercial ones. Then there is the mess of wires. . .

My head hurts just thinking about how hard I worked to try to save a few bucks. Good luck.

On the bright side I was pretty popular with the grand kids at Christmas!

well then Ill just go with a stationary decoder or something like that and then program what I want and see about using that...MUWHAHA I am determined to make this a successful project some how...

Thats an idea there, I may try it that way, I may cut small holes in the roof for the sound to come out, haven't decided on exactly how I want to do that, but ehh, its a challenge that im up for :D

Back