Static Grass help

I'm not sure if the gator clip is even working properly, I can tell the inside of the applicator is working right because there is some static grass clinging to the metal blades in the applicator's basket. I wonder if I could get a alligator plug that is the same to the one woodland senics uses? but the alligator clip does not give me static shock and the grass does not stick to the alligator clip

So, the way these things work is sort of like lightning. The alligator clip is used to make the electrical contact on the surface you're wanting to plant the grass in. The hopper is then charged when you push the button. The alligator clip is either positive or negative, and the hopper is teh opposite. This static charge attracts the grass, and tries to pull the grass back up toward it.

The button needs to stay pressed as you plant, and the hopper needs to hover really closely to the surface your planting.

Gravity pulls one end of the grass down while the static charge pulls the other end up, much the same way you can get a balloon to stick to the ceiling with a staic charge.

OK so another question still can't find the output voltage anyway read some where the little four legged stand that you connect the clip to

Is it painted black If so check it with meter for continuity some reports of that stopping it from working

That little 4 legged stand needs to be replaced with a simple steel nail. I thought the 4 legged stand was attached via an alligator clip. Try using a nail instead of that black colored POS

Yeah, I didn't even use it in the first place, I used a salvaged metal plate from the long piece of metal in athearn blue box locos, when I touch it I don't get a static shock. I'm about to try some more static grass. I watered down a area of the layout and then put some white glue over it, and I set a 15 min timer so the glue stiffens up and is not so runny. I'll report back how the static grass worked. I'll also try using the small holed sieve that comes with the applicator. Maybe that will make the grass come out in more of a standing position....

Yes it does have a wall wart plug in, and I've tried 2 batteries. I guess I've never thought that it could just be the grass! Have you had similar results to me with the 12mm grass? If so that makes me feel much better that it is probably not my machine acting weird. I just got it 2 days ago and decided to only get 12mm grass, so next time I go to the hobby shop I'll get some varying sizes. Thanks for the advice! Much obliged!
I couldn’t get the grass out of the hopper, it was just too big. 6mm and less is nice. Now I just take a pinch of 12mm, twist the bottom together and plant it into the glue.

If the unit is Woodland Scenic, they stand behind there stuff. Maybe an email off to customer service! A $100 applicator should work. Locally purchased or online? If online with PayPal file a claim it’s not what it’s supposed to be

Yes it does have a wall wart plug in, and I've tried 2 batteries. I guess I've never thought that it could just be the grass! Have you had similar results to me with the 12mm grass? If so that makes me feel much better that it is probably not my machine acting weird. I just got it 2 days ago and decided to only get 12mm grass, so next time I go to the hobby shop I'll get some varying sizes. Thanks for the advice! Much obliged!
Cut a few pieces of the 12mm into 4 pieces and try that. 3mm grass should stand

The other I will offer is take a metal cookie sheet, add a piece of parchment paper, a few spots of glue on the parchment paper and attach the alligator clip to the cookie sheet and use some of that cut down static grass in the hopper and make a few tufts of grass.

if that doesn’t work is there a way to remove the alligator clip? Try without the clip unless it’s a new unit don’t remove the clip if you can’t put it back the same way

Is this a new unit! If so call the hobby shop or Woodland Scenic

I mean, the alligator clip could be removed by cutting and stripping the wire, which i could easily do. But if that doesn't work I would have to solder it back, which I don't know how well that would work. I got it at a local shop a few days ago, what a start into static grass! 🤣 So I'll call woodland senics and if they can't help I guess I'll return it and get a new one....

You might want to watch this video to see how it's supposed to work (making tufts though, not broad fields of grass):

Luke also built his own, and you'll find his vids on that.

This video:

demonstrates the use of an applicator over what seems to be more a full field of grass.

I remember Model Railroader magazine compared a few applicators a year or more back and their results (can't lay my finger on the exact issue, but it's out there). I know I bought it, because I remember reading it in bed one night.

Should be available as a back issue.

This is one example of how it CAN look:
1669805969593.png

Last: Railroad Model Craftsman (I think) ran an article somewhere in the...'80s I think...by a gent who created tufts using human hair. Not using a static applicator, but using tweezers, I think. That said, if you remember the phrase where "your hair stands right up under some sort of fear, etc." it might suggest hair as a grass material too. If you could find a way to chop it up yourself into short lengths (perhaps a food processor?) you might find it to be a good material too.

As I recall it, the author of that article* went into a local hair-salon, and (somehow filtered out, perhaps by the hairdresser herself by agreement), managed to collect the blond hair alone. Which, I suppose, would look more like dried grass.

Or...you could source it from a local pet-grooming salon. Golden Retriever, maybe.....

[* Could have been authored by a gent named Jack Work, who was a top-class/cutting edge modeler back in the day.]

Last edited:
I'll definitely watch the luke towan video. I have seen the 2nd video, and I'm not sure if I'll use hair for some grass.
But I am 100% going to try and find that MRR Magazine article. Thanks for telling me!

Also, even if the applicator is working perfectly fine, you will not get a shock if all you do is touch just the "nail on the alligator clip." But if you were to stick that nail up into the hopper, and make contact with the metal screen (which is the other electrode), you should get a nice short, sharp, shock (to quote Pink Floyd) (prolly a good idea to insulate your hand, lol! it can smart for a second or 2, LOL!).

Another thing... The device probably has a resister that slowly bleeds out the electrical charge, so it doesn't stay charged for long once you set it down... probably within a minute or less, the static charge will dissipate, so you need to keep the button pushed as long as you're "planting."

Alright, that actually makes sense.. Yeah, I have zero intentions of sticking my hand in the hopper though! I think next time I go to a hobby shop I'll get the Wall plug for it, that should help some.

Static grass I bought a cheap shatter convert, i pop a screw into the wet glue then attach the wire, and gently let the the grass flow it definitely has static properties, I had tried rubbing a balloon but not great had a shaker bottle ie plastic bottle shake grass which I was surprised worked as well, but wet glue screw attach to worked well
6A00B2FC-D021-46FC-830C-D2E55FEF348D.jpeg

you need to move the screw to the middle of the wet glue to work well the further away the worse the result
963CB9BC-B3F9-45FF-8682-8D423CB84658.jpeg
D3CF4B41-CC69-429D-907F-702F259B1BE7.jpeg
59B677E9-4D62-4138-BF6C-F37015325B2A.jpeg

hold applicator low and close to glue further away more the static dissipates, you should be like an inch or so and see the stuff floating
once left to dry you can hoover off any that did not stick and reuse
75931738-E746-45E2-912E-F25EEEB249CF.jpeg
shorter grass until you get the hang of it then the longer, best of luck.

Here is the applicator I made for less than $10. It started as a tennis racket shaped bug zapper. Removed the racket and replaced it with metal strainer from the dollar store. Some wire and solder... Works like a charm and has thumped me a few times, lol.
PXL_20210726_232145514.jpg

I was making grass tufts and ridges that would grow in the middle of a gravel road.
PXL_20210729_212908953.jpg

Here is the applicator I made for less than $10. It started as a tennis racket shaped bug zapper. Removed the racket and replaced it with metal strainer from the dollar store. Some wire and solder... Works like a charm and has thumped me a few times, lol.View attachment 156964

I was making grass tufts and ridges that would grow in the middle of a gravel road.
View attachment 156965
I know this isn't what the post is about, but that's a nicely weathered hopper car!

Here is the applicator I made for less than $10. It started as a tennis racket shaped bug zapper. Removed the racket and replaced it with metal strainer from the dollar store. Some wire and solder... Works like a charm and has thumped me a few times, lol.View attachment 156964

View attachment 156965
Plastic trim better than my metal I added tape to stop me zapping it o n the screw lol

Back