Static Grass Applicator

slopes09

I'm about to embark on a quest to apply a lot of static flock grass to our club layout and display layout. I would like to make a static grass applicator using this article.
However, I'm having trouble getting a hold of a negative ion generator. The only company that sells the DC variation, Goldmine Electronics, has been sold out for a while, and inquiries to the company yielded no response. My new thought is to either purchase the AC variety, which is high voltage, and that I'm not sure if it would work. My other option is to buy an Automotive ionic air generator (which works off of 12V DC), take it apart, and extract the ion generator from that.

I need opinions on what people think would be the better option.

I'd buy the 12 volt car model from Target and extract the generator from there. Since you have 12 volts available anyway, it's the cheapest solution. The only question I'd have is how powerful an ion generator to you need to get the static effect that will make grass stand up?

I made a static grass applicator from an electric fly swatter. I used the following article to do it.

Grass applicator

I have yet to use if for grass but in the next couple weeks that should change. One thing I know is that it packs a *WALLOP*:eek: on my finger.

YOUCH!:(

Were you ever able to get the 12V ion generator? How about extracting one from a Target car ion generator?

You know, it sounds goofy, but I had decent results with - a balloon. Just rub it on your shirt, maybe scoot your feet if want, and hold it right over a small area. Rub some more, hold it over it again (close now, maybe 1/8").

I worked with about two square feet at a time, and had no problems. Once the balloon is "saturated" with static grass (it'll pick up the stuff that didn't stick), just trash it and blow up another one.

You could give it a shot on some scrap foam if you want first though. :)

Kyle

Well the balloon idea certainly makes sense, I just wonder about getting it into tight areas and controlling the flow of the grass. But it is a very ready supply of static electricity.

I'm about to embark on a quest to apply a lot of static flock grass to our club layout and display layout. I would like to make a static grass applicator using this article.
However, I'm having trouble getting a hold of a negative ion generator. The only company that sells the DC variation, Goldmine Electronics, has been sold out for a while, and inquiries to the company yielded no response. My new thought is to either purchase the AC variety, which is high voltage, and that I'm not sure if it would work. My other option is to buy an Automotive ionic air generator (which works off of 12V DC), take it apart, and extract the ion generator from that.

I need opinions on what people think would be the better option.

I built two using the AC generator. They work just fine. I think it is easier, since you don't have to wire up a DC converter, it's built in! And the AC style was cheaper.

Fred,

I don't know anything about AC wiring, so can you explain, possibly with photos, how exactly you can make one using the AC ion generator? The word I got from Electronics Goldmine is that they don't have the DC version and have no idea when to expect it, so AC is my only option (aside from the aforementioned balloon).;)

Thank you, Fred. I picked up a flyswatter today at HF, so I'm going to give that a whirl. But, your diagram is very helpful and takes the fear out of dealing with the 120VAC. I can easily put together what you've shown, so thanks very much. In fact, I'll probably try one of each since they're so cheap to make.

Improper wiring

Absolutely DO NOT wire your 120V negative ION generator as shown in the image posted above. The image shows the Common (WHITE) wires switched and the Live (BLACK) wires LIVE all the time! Connecting the wires in this way means you could be zapped with 120 volts if your body is grounded in any way! This wiring is simply dangerous!
The right way to do this is to switch the black power wires and use the white wires to connect the scenery spike. An even safer way is to use a grounded cord and connect the scenery spike to the GREEN ground wire rather than the WHITE common wire.

BTW. The 12Volt negative ION generator is still available from Oatley Electronics.

http://secure.oatleyelectronics.com...d=327&osCsid=5701a55502853d4867849a58f940a953

Edit: Here is a page where the wiring I describe is discussed.
http://www.swansontec.com/sionizer.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my Grassinator working. I built the 12v model following the Ztrains article. Got the Negative Ion Generator from Oatley Electronics in Australia. It cost more to ship then the darn Generator did.

Negative ION generators

Yeah the shipping is a killer.

I was bringing these in from Aussie land in lots with a combined shipping rate, then distributing them to my pals at the MRH forum for $17 US shipped, just to recoup my costs but Canada Post was being a pain to deal with and since I was not doing it for profit I stopped after most of the guys who spoke up had their generators in hand.

Since that time more guys have shown an interest. Because I had developed a very good rapport with the manager of Oatley Electronics I put him together with Joe Fugate of Model Railroad Hobbyist and I believe Joe will be offering the ION modules through his Model-Trains-Video.com website...likely before the end of the month.

There is also an article detailing building three different static grass applicators in a recent issue of MRH.

Google free model railroad magazine and choose the first hit to find MRH.

Back