starting my own intermodel project

deron25

new to this

hello guys my name is deron25. i'm new here. i would like to know sense i'm just starting out. should start small then work my way up or does it matter. if you can help please do. your friend deron25 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi deron25, and welcome to Model Railroad forums. I'm not into intermodel or I'm not sure of what it means, but someone here will answer your question. If you haven't built any model RR projects before then maybe build something sort of basic just to get a feel for it. Just an idea since I'm not sure of just what it is you want to do, but then again I'm just coming out of newbie classes :D
13.gif
Willis

I'd say it depends on what your goals are and what your means are. My standard short answer would be yes. The long answer, yes.... A few questions you should ask yourself first though:

Do you have a layout already? How big is it? If not, how big will it be? Space is a major consideration when it comes to intermodal modeling, since many of the cars involved are pretty long.

Do you have much money? Some of the cars can be quite expensive, unless you're able to build them up from kits.

Would you like to model an intermodal yard, a port, or just a train only? If you're interested in a port or yard, you might check out Robert Smaus' Port of Los Angeles layout in the Kalmbach Publishing book, Six Layouts You Can Build. It's amazing what he was able to do with a small space, but the same techniques apply to a larger layout if you have additional space.

What era are you interested in modeling? There has been at least some form of intermodal equipment for a few decades now, so some equipment that's appropriate for the 1950s or 60s wouldn't work today. Obviously, you wouldn't see double stack cars in the 60s, either.

So, a bit of information from you will help get some more advice. But, as with anything, I'd try to figure out what you want out of modeling intermodal equipment before you go any farther. You'll be happier with what you get and you'll end up making fewer buying mistakes.

TrainboyH16-44 said:
for an intermodal yard background, try http://www.igshansa.de/igsdownload.html
they look pretty good.
Matthew

Hmm, I just noticed he added a new one since my last visit to the paper container site, he now has an office container :cool:

I guess I better book mark it, never know what else he may post. Also Russian thanks for the translation link, funny how it works ;)

Back