Started a Railroad kits building today

oxfordlawn

Still learning
ordered this square magnetic jig from micro mark and finally got to try it today. All I can say is awesome...my only complaint would be the magnets are actually too strong and hard to move around and get fine tuning. I was able to put the base building together of this kit today in no time as could work and support several sections at a time.
The quality of the building kit is superb, although it came with no instructions. Not too big a problem as i just went on theit website and they had pictures of all angles so it was easy to figure out from there.
I know we all love photos so heres a few from todays progress.

That looks like Fisher Fuels. Or a really similar kit. Check out the instructions are here: http://www.railroadkits.com/instructions/Fisher_Fuels_Instructions.pdf

My dad always told me to read the instructions whether I use them or not.

Looks like you're off to a good start. I thought about getting one of those magnetic jigs from Micro-Mark. I decided to use Legos instead.

Great...thanks for the link. And yes it is the fisher fuels building. It was a good day to build a kit while tending to my hangover LOL.

... the magnets are actually too strong and hard to move around and get fine tuning. ....

Could you mount the magnets on a thin piece of styrene or something to make them a little farther from the steel so they hold less?

And the building is looking good too!

This kit came with decals of a sort I have never seen before. Looks like they are just printed onto a piece of paper, so whats the best application method for these what seem to me to be some sort of dry decals

I would glue the paper to th e model and use a varnish or coating of some sort to hold it in place better and protect it.

Aaron

well its pretty much done, except for window glass.....havent figured that part out yet LOL. This was my first attempt at HO scale modeling, did a little diorama scene. This past weekend went to Hobby Lobby and by chance they had 40% off everything sale so I bought tons of Woodland Scenics materials.

Thanks everyone, it came out way better than I ever expected it too, now I am just painting up all the little detail pieces that came with the kit such as pallets, oil drums and garbage cans.
I got impatient and pegged this one to the base foam already which im affraid to pull off and damage anything before I put any window glass in, and it bugs me a little. So for my next one, whats the best method of installing some sort of window glass thats looks best? Thanks again for everyones help on this

Nice looking diorama. The building turned out great. Since it's already glued to the base you could make the window glass using Canopy Glue.

Back