Start of my New Camas Prairie Layout.

NIevo

Well I had a thread started in the HO section but figured since I am making the switch to N-Scale for sure I would start a new one here to document the entire process.

First off, at this time I have very limited space to work with, which is why I have designed the layout to be built in stages. I will probably start with the Potlatch facility first as it will offer the most operation as a stand alone unit.

As for the Railroad I am modeling it is located in Nothern Idaho and was a joint venture between the Northern Pacific (later Burlington Northern) and Union Pacific. It was heavily dependent on grain and timber. It features some spectacular scenery as well as amazing bridges and trestles.

I am starting from ground zero with N-Scale so I will post updates regularly with new rolling stock and layout updates.

Here is the track plan I have for now. It is 20'x30' which I hope to be the minimum once we get moved and settled. I obviously don't know if it will be perfectly rectangular or the exact size so I designed it to be flexible. I have thought about doing a multi-level plan but aren't sure if I want to worry about working on such a tall platform. Let me know what you guys think.

fulllayoutjpegnewkb8.jpg

Very nice plan! You've put a lot of thought into this thing, thats obvious!

Hey, have you ever heard of Aspen Model? They're pricey, but they have the good stuff, and it's right up your alley. They could probably help you a bunch. Here's a link to their website: http://www.aspenmodel.com/

Well I got my first shipment of items in this week. A few sets of Atlas Code 55 track, a Micro Engineering Viaduct trestle that will become Lawyers Canyon Viaduct, and a 2pc set of Walthers 45' Burlington Northern Log cars.

The final product will probably be flex track. It's just easier to design with sectional.

I could be wrong...

That looks like it is going to be one impressive layout. Model Railroad planning had a great article about ten years ago on the CSP that I was going take the track plan from but I ended up selling the house and haven't had room since.

That's an awful nice layout for sectional track. Have you considered flex?

I will be using flex on the actual layout. I just got some sectional to play around with. I will be doing the Potlatch facility first and sectional will be almost as easy as flex for that.

Oh my, that's the start of a great looking layout. That would be a fun project to be a part of, that's for sure.

Well it has been awhile but here are some updates. I have the benchwork done and mostly wired. I am running Caboose Ground Throws on the turnouts in the back and the more hidden turnouts and Blue Point under layout switches on the front and yard switches.

All the track is laid and tested up to the yard and the mill spurs. Using Woodland Scenics Roadbed on most of it and cork for the transitions into the lower level yard spurs. Let me know what you think so far!

whit20081007.jpg

whit20081009.jpg

whit20081037.jpg

whit20081041.jpg

Looks nice so far but I hope that white beadboard is temporary. It's not very strong and a mess to cut.

Well it was the perfect height for what I needed and I had it laying around so yeah, its permanent :) I'm not using it throughout the layout though so I'm not to worried.

That's DEFINITELY some serious trackage...20' x 30' in N SCALE!!!...I'm just puzzled by the length of distance between towns...being that you are doing N scale, you definitely won't have to worry about the engine being in one "location" and the caboose still in the prior town!!...of course that line wasn't known for 80-100 car trains either... And being that the line is a point to point, you could have allowed yourself an "exposed" classification yard at Ayer...but then which yard would you be building?...the old one?...or the new one that was built when they built Lower Monumental Dam and raised the Snake River?

Well I'm not planning on doing much of the line past the Port of Wilma. Also while not known for long trains, there were logger trains coming out of Orofino that often topped 200 cars!!!!

Quick little update. Mountains are in and I couldn't resist placing a train on the tracks for a photo op!

whit2008628.jpg

whit2008629.jpg

Well got most of the plaster down, just need to do some final fills and then lay down some smooth it for the road area. Construction on the sawmill is going to start next, as well as the corner of a mill pond.

whit2008704.jpg

whit2008705.jpg

I would like to see your spreadsheet of N-scale equipment that you have for sale. This is my first time on a message board. How may I contact you privately (so I don't give my e-mail address to everyone?

Back