Stacked rail lines?

Not quite what you're looking for but it is related to the topic.

There is, or maybe was as I don't know if it is still there or not, where on street level, you have the Southern RR, the Seaboard on the middle and the C&O on top.:eek: Its the only place where three separate trunk lines crossed, each on its own level. I did find a painting of it, and have seen more modern pictures of it but can find them, (figures;)). Its located in Richmond, Va.

With all the mergers that have occurred over the years, I don't even know if it is still in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I'd like to see photo evidence of that.

I would like to find the pictures in one of my reference books that I have. I just can't find the book right now, as I have it in storage, but don't know which box it's in.

The picture is from a slightly closer angle and has a SRR F unit, one of the Seaboard's white E-units in the middle, and a C&O GP-7/9 up top.

I found the painting on Wikipedia, and they said it was a photo, but if it is, its a poor one. It looks more like it was painted to me.

PS, I went to the Richmond newspaper website, and found out some info. The crossing was built in 1900, and is still in use today. The "painting" I showed was a colorized version of this photo;

http://richmondthenandnow.com/Images/6-Then-big.jpg

And I even found a You tube video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFtnr06wMk

And I found this on Worldflicks;

http://wiki.worldflicks.org/triple_crossing.html

That's amazing ...

Here it is in Google Maps at 45* aerial shot. You can also rotate it on 90* increments using the compass thing in the top left corner for 3 more views. And of course you can StreetView all over it.

That's really cool. Not exactly what I was thinking of, but really cool never-the-less. Thanks again for sharing!

That's was kind of the look of my layout before I decide the middle level had to go.:rolleyes:

hoping to do the same

loud music , i hope you are trying to figure out a way to run track directly over the top of another too . i posted a question trying to find the life like elevated piers where ( saw on youtube ) someone had used 2 lifelike train sets with the elevated piers to run directly over 1 another . i found someone who had posted pictures of the ( tunneled ) elevated piers he made (3/4 mdf ) . I'm going to make them but i need to figure out a way to fix the track to them where its stable . i only have 4 x 8 area so trying to make first layout more interesting . if you come up with some ideas be sure to post .
mike

My interest is specifically for spanning a 4' gap twice, vertically separated by about 8 inches. It's a weird space in my room - a recessed window. I think what I'm going to end up doing is two separate arch truss bridges. On the lower span the arch will be below the track deck, and on the upper span the arch will be above the track deck.

But that's all a very long way away from now, if it happens at all.

Back