Spray booths.

Take a range hood (new not that costly or used FREE!!!) Build a bottom and three sides. The top can be adapted easily to hook to a dryer hose. Similar to the one pictured above. They have the metal filters that can be wrapped with a tack cloth (paint department at Lowes) This will slow the air flow (wont burn the fan it wont be on that long).

Range hoods have lights and you can put a timer on the controls so it turns off shortly after you are finished.

Wood can be used to make the box and line it with white cardstock on the sides and black on the back. Side reflection is good but black on the back so you are not looking at a glare. The usually use regular light bulbs and you can also add halogen and or florescent for added variables for lighting.

Range Hood

I was going to do that, but they are so damn loud.

This blower is relatively quiet in comparison to the range hoods. The motor is shielded and is not in the airstream at all. Not sure about the range hoods, but you are right, they are a GREAT candidate for this sort of thing.

--Jon

You do have a great setup there Jon. I had thought about the range hood idea myself but they are pretty loud except the higher end ones and at those prices you may as well buy a booth instead of building one.
Lining the walls with cardstock. Another good idea, when it gets too dirty for overspray just replace it.

Cardstock Insides

I had thought about making sheet metal, stainless, or even aluminum sides to my spray booth. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I have a shop that I can access the equipment necessary to make it.

I really like that cardstock idea. Hobby Lobby sells it in different thicknesses and compositions. I was thinking that maybe that foam-core stuff might work well.

--Jon

Now that I brought it from my parents house I figured I would share!!

My dad made this down-draft style spray booth for me about 8 years ago. It uses a furnace blower motor, and a cheap filter mounted under the floor.

He did a great job on it and it works like a champ!!!

100_1134.png

100_1135.png

100_1136.png

100_1138.png

100_1140.png

Later,

DEVLYN

The air sucking system is obviously a big PLUS. i was thinking building a similar boxe, but with opening on both side and a windows in front

edit : For those who are using a fan in the end of a pipe, installing a Bell Mouth in the booth will allow a better airflow, (almost twice the flow)

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm... noticed last 2 are downdraft. my booth (carton box) i installed the exhaust fan and filter in the back wall, is this bad?

i like the transparent plastic enclosure on yours - more light.

I posted this link on Spray Booth Design and Fan Selection early in this thread. There is a section on direction of draft .. he says ..

Hobby spray booths are typically small, open-faced bench top units, drawing in unfiltered air for ventilation, as shown below. As such, problems can occur with dust and dirt settling in the paint. This is especially true in cross-draft booths where all of the air entering the booth is drawn across the part being painted. Dust contamination is reduced somewhat in downdraft booths due to the lower air volumes required for ventilation and the air being pulled downward as it enters the booth

I used a cardboard box and bathroom fan with a paint booth filter. Aluminum ducting to outside. Flows 75cfm

$23 total

I've got 2 fans at my disposal, at least one once we get a new hot water heater...

From what I've read so far, the safer bet to use, with alcohol based paints would be the enclosed fan, from the second photo, as opposed to the bathroom fan from the first?

Not sure what you mean by alcohol based paints. Assuming you're asking about solvent based paint, the squirrel cage fan would provide more air flow and the ducting would be easier.

I have used a simple and cheap booth in the past that i have made and it has worked well, take a large box 20" square or so and buy a mid grade furnace filter that is the same size and duct tape the filter on the end with the arrows pointing away from the box, you will need to tape the flaps open at both ends and seal all spots so the only place it can suck air is at the front, place a 20" box fan at the back of the box and you have a cheap throw away booth for about $8 and no overspray will leak out and any will be caught by the filter as it flows thru the filter. When it gets dirty toss it and make a new one.

Not sure what you mean by alcohol based paints. Assuming you're asking about solvent based paint, the squirrel cage fan would provide more air flow and the ducting would be easier.

Yup, I meant solvent based, I knew that just looked wrong when I wrote it!!:D

Thanks for the tip, that'll just bump my water heater replacement project up the list! (to about 24...);)

Alright, I've acquired a couple squirrel cage blowers. One runs at 3000 rpm and the other at 1600, both have the same diameter in and outflow.

Which one would work best? Can there be too much draw?

Thanks

If you would click the link I posted on the 4th post of this thread it would answer your questions.

If you would click the link I posted on the 4th post of this thread it would answer your questions.

Thanks for the heads up, but how can I calculate my CFM from my RPM? We need more acronyms...:D

Seems like either fan will work, it will just depend on how large my spray booth is and the type/length of ductwork.

Jason

In the link he supplies you with four different blowers from Grainger. The best I can suggest would be to compare your blowers to these and try to find one that is close. Example, the 4C054 has 980 CFM, speed 1030, wheel dia 8.5", wheel width 5-1/16". All four examples he gives have been discontinued but they were examples anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the link he supplies you with four different blowers from Grainger. The best I can suggest would be to compare your blowers to these and try to find one that is close. Example, the 4C054 has 980 CFM, speed 1030, wheel dia 8.5", wheel width 5-1/16". All four examples he gives have been discontinued but they were examples anyway.

I'm leaning towards the 3000 PRM motor, can you have too much air draw through the booth, is there a down side to it? I'm planning on making a downdraft booth.
Jason

If you have too much air drawing through. You will have trouble getting the paint spraying out of the airbrush onto the model. It will get swept away by the air before it hits the model.

Back