Spoke, disc or boxpok?

Whatever the prototype used on a given loco. I like the mixture if types the SP used. Disc main drivers with everything else spoked looks neat. This was usually done when rebuilding. Their Mt class 4-8-2's were the best!

Like this:
4329_sp-steam-mt03-joe_strapac.jpg

The Mt class are my favorite SP steamers. I have three of them in brass, two with the skyline casing and one without. They were what drove me to brass!

G'day Milwaukee and all , Funny thing , I'm a You Tube junkie...and I'd just watched a video on the imminent release of a brass Big Boy model soon to be put out by a company I've never heard of called Glacier Models...which will be EXPENSIVE...no actual price yet...which led me to watch a video on the movement of 4014 to West Colton Yard as it headed to Wyoming for restoration..aided by the gorgeous Southern Pacific heritage 1996 SD70 ACe..which led me to UP 844 in full flight...what a beauty...I'm not really a steam buff person as such but certain ones like the fantastic 4884s , this UP 844 , the streamlined SP 4449 and it still runs often , the ubiquitous Flying Scotsman...some of the Mallards...are just stunning...What are complicated models like to use..do they require special lubrication given the actual moving parts guys..I'd love to know. Check out this trip from 2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvCBccXKp0 and UP844 in full flight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRTYNxtbnjI Wow ..Cheers Rod...

Last edited by a moderator:
G'day Milwaukee and all , Funny thing , I'm a You Tube junkie...and I'd just watched a video on the imminent release of a brass Big Boy model soon to be put out by a company I've never heard of called Glacier Models...which will be EXPENSIVE...no actual price yet

That's Glacier Park Models, who will be importing it. Boo Rim Precision over in Korea will be building it. Right now the price is estimated at $3,495.00 which they will let you split into six monthly payments. The model will be very very high quality, and you can expect a very small run, I'd guess 25 or less of each number/version. This is the stratosphere of HO brass. Not for the faint of heart or those with deep pockets and short arms! You won't be seeing any of these in the clearance bin at 40% off. BrassTrains.com may bring in a few extras for their store but these projects are generally small runs, and they make just what they get reservations for. Welcome to the big leagues!

Woo hoo

G'day Alan , Thanks for the info and the correct name..Nearly three and a half grand ...that's ten top of the range Athearn Genesis's for me...Whew,,,geez you'd really have to want one and you'd need to carry a fair bit of insurance...Top end stuff for sure. What about this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mIoMVGS4W0 It's a corny start to the video but a nice review on the TRIX version of the Big Boy....Cheers Rod...

The Trix model was nice. A fellow in my club had one. Very good runner and strong puller. The model in the video was in bad need of a chuff adjustment! A good rule of thumb is eight chuffs per revolution for articulated locomotives.

Yes the Glacier Park model costs as much as ten Athearn genesis models but then, it is ten times the model! No disrespect to Athearn here, but it's not an apples to apples comparison.

G'day Alan ...Very true indeed .. That said ... the Athearn Genesis's in recent years have regained a certain status I think...and would have to be one of the better mid range brands these days...I have several Athearn Genesis 's and some Broadway Limited and Intermountain's and all around $300 each ...All three brands are value for money..
Kato are supposed to be the best of the bread and butter mid range makers but they'd have to be pretty good to be a whole lot better than a Genesis...As you say compare Apples with Apples...Cheer Rod..

I'm a spokes man. I would rather have spokes instead of boxpoks, but I understand some Railroads feeling the need to use those some where on a steamer, generally the main driver. However all a scullin does to me is to remind me of a cheap floor toy, that vaguely looks like a steam engine.

Rodney, I use Labelle 108 on all the moving parts, and the heavier stuff on the gears themselves.

....any favourites on a steamer?
I really like the Skullen drivers, but only on streamlined locos. I think they make a normal steamer look, umm... alien.

So I guess that would put me into the BoxPok camp. I used to like them only on larger heavier locomotives, but then I saw a Santa Fe 34xx class. They look really good in that application. One would have thought it was a much larger loco.

Back