Spectrum K4 #1361

Ok guys, it is time once again for a question. I submitted this to bachmann's support already but if I can solve the problem before having to pay $25.00 I would be happy! So, I have the spectrum k4 dc only pacific (PRR obviously :rolleyes:) and I was running it with a train of heavyweight coaches today. Three standard coaches, one diner, and an observation car. It was going fine until the wheels started to slip on the back part of the layout (this has happened before w/ no problems, usually slips for about 2 inches then catches so I don't usually worry about it.) Anyways, the engine seizes and won't run. I think "o great, burnt out motor." No, the motor is still working. I started messing w/ the wheels and notice that the rods are kinda funky so I started playing w/ them. Got it to run about ten inches before seizing again. Also I noticed that the middle two wheels were pushed out of gauge. I squeeze them back in. Again, same thing. I took out the valve rod. The engine now runs but the rest of the rods look all wonky and the valve rod won't go back in. I don't know much about steam locos so I am counting on someone else's knowledge here to carry me on this one! Thanks in advance. I can post pics but w/ my crappy camera you will most likely see zero detail. I will post them if you ask but would rather not have to.

Thanks for the information, but I don't know enough about steam to have any idea what that means :D. So what do I do about it? Is it a tough fix? Should I just send it back, bite my 25.00 bullet, and pay them to fix the thing?

Quarter means all the drivers on one side have their cranks at the same clock position, and those on the other side have their cranks offset by fifteen 'minutes' or 90 degrees from those on the other side.

There is a quartering tool sold by NWSL that solves a ton of those types of problems. I agree, it sounds to me like one or more drivers slipped on their axles, rotating a bit, and have bent the rods or something.

So then what you're saying is that unless I want to buy the tool I had better send the loco back to bachmann for repair? Or will they even repair it since it's an at-home-fixable issue? I don't really wanna buy any new tools right now and depending on how much it is I think it would be better to just get the company to fix it. After all it is the only big steamer I own, the other two being little 0-4-0 switchers so I'm not really that worried about it. I run alot of diesel stuff anyways.

Pay the $25, and send it back. The quartering tool is about $40, and unless the spectrum axles are 3 mm or less, the axles won't fit. The quartering tool was designed for brass locos, and while it does work occasionally on plastic type steamers, my experience has been that it only fits very few.

There is a method where the drivers can be quartered by sight, but unless you've quartered several hundred locos, you wouldn't be able to do it very easily.

Yeah its going back to bachmann. I have never quartered even one locomotive, let alone hundreds!!! Thanks for advice I hope that bachmann is quick with the locomotive.

The drivers have to be removed from the locomotive. Looking from one side of the driver thru to the other side, have the crankpin hole facing you sitting at the bottom of the driver. As you look thru, turn the other driver until its crankpin holes appears to be at 90`Then since each driver has the same number of spokes, by lining up the spokes so they match up as you look through the drivers, the crankpin holes will be at 90`from each other. This will quarter that driver. This has to be done to all drivers so they will match. Otherwise they will still be out of quarter with each other.

I hope that I explained this clear enough. It works best with larger drivers, like the ones found on passenger locos. The smaller drivers like switchers and such are almost impossible to do by sight. That's why I do recommend the use of a quartering jig.

I shudder at the thought of trying to quarter my old N scale H4 2-6-6-2 by sight! :eek: :confused: I had enough trouble getting the bloody thing on the track! :D

Any updates on your K4, PsychoBeagle?

Back