Spectrum Climax

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

trailrider

Several years ago I bought a Spectrum 3-truck Climax from Bachmann with DCC/Sound. It ran okay for a while, then quit. I sent it back and they repaired it, and it worked okay...for another while, then died again. The sound works fine, and I think I can hear the motor, but it won't move and I suspect a Chinese gear is cracked inside. Bachmann no longer has parts or repairs the I am trying to disassemble the beast, but have so far only been able to remove the coal bunker behind the cab and get the cab loose except for a bell rope or something. Anybody have a clue as to how to get the rest of the boiler off to expose the mechanism?

Railrunner130

There are parts breakdowns on the Bachmann website.

You might also check out Northwest Shortline. I believe they have a kit for that exact issue. I'd think it would have instructions for installation.

trailrider

Thanks! Problem still is how to disassemble this thing. I have been removing as many of the small Phillips head screws, but can't figure out how to remove the boiler so I can get to the motor and gearbox. I looked down the smokestack to see if there is a screw in there, as in many models, but there doesn't appear to be a screw. Almost looks like it is riveted. I haven't tried removing the lead truck...yet...to see if there is a screw going upward into the smokebox. I'm almost tempted to weather the beast as a rustbucket and leave it as a retired wreck...which it almost is.

Sirfoldalot

Curse You, Red Baron!
Staff member
WOW - That thing has more parts than a Swiss Watch!
Best of luck with your repair, Trailrider.

wvg_ca

i have both the two truck version and the three truck one .. both have DCC but only one has sound, can't remember which one offhand .. i have had these about eight years now and so far they haven't had to go back, or even come apart for that matter ..

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.