Spectrum 0-6-0 Loco Midwest Quarry & Mining 81814

What? I'm telling your wife!!!! hehehehe

She knows lol. I won it a couple days ago and thats when she drew the line in the sand. I figured for $50, it might not be all that spectacular. If it will pull the four old time Roundhouse cars I have (and up the grades), I'll be happy. But I bet it doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the UP version last week. It isn't bad, and pulls 3 or 4 cars smoothly. If you got the DCC ready version, and want to put a decoder in it, God help you.
I had to remove the light bulbs and circuit board in order to fit a z scale decoder. Oh, and the board isn't a plug and play, it simply has 8 pins you can solder your decoder to.
It has what looks like the same motor Bachmann used in their double-motor 44 ton and 70 ton switchers. I pulled off all the resistors, rf chokes, and filters, and it runs well. Just with no lights. Possibly some LEDs will fit, the bulbs are mounted in the frame, with light pipes going to the head and tail lights.

I bought the UP version last week. It isn't bad, and pulls 3 or 4 cars smoothly. If you got the DCC ready version, and want to put a decoder in it, God help you.
I had to remove the light bulbs and circuit board in order to fit a z scale decoder. Oh, and the board isn't a plug and play, it simply has 8 pins you can solder your decoder to.
It has what looks like the same motor Bachmann used in their double-motor 44 ton and 70 ton switchers. I pulled off all the resistors, rf chokes, and filters, and it runs well. Just with no lights. Possibly some LEDs will fit, the bulbs are mounted in the frame, with light pipes going to the head and tail lights.

This is the DCC (no sound) version I believe. Terry, what exactly does removing the little yellow chokes buy you? I have read others doing the same and I have been tempted to do it on some other loco's I have but didn't because I didn't know the true value of it. Can you explain?

My thanks in advance.

scroggin said:
If it dont pull well see if you can put some lead in it anywhere..

Yessir. I have done that on other loco's I have. Haven't tried the Bullfrog Snot and am not sure I will.

Thank you for the input! It is appreciated :)

A friend of mine bought one several years ago, and it runs extremely smooth, and pulls well for the size of the loco. The "chokes", and capacitors attached to some of Bachmann's locos are for RF filtering. Due to their mass produced nature, they have several RF filers for different countries requirements. Some times, you need to remove them and sometimes you don't. It depends on which decoder you install in them.

A friend of mine bought one several years ago, and it runs extremely smooth, and pulls well for the size of the loco. The "chokes", and capacitors attached to some of Bachmann's locos are for RF filtering. Due to their mass produced nature, they have several RF filers for different countries requirements. Some times, you need to remove them and sometimes you don't. It depends on which decoder you install in them.

Thank you for the input Carey.

I got the little steamer today. What surprised the wife and I the most was it's size. This thing is tiny! It looked funny in the big ole box! It reminds me of N-scale instead of HO. It runs well enough after I lubed it with some ATF. It pulls ok as well but it wont pull much. I got it mostly to look at and run by itself with a car or two though so it will be ok. It is cute!

Back