Specific questions about brass painting

ossroy

I have custom painted many plastic models with results excellent enough that the hobby shop asked me to do some painting for them (I declined). With plastic models it's generally easy to separate the details from the shell for painting and decaling. Now I'm looking at doing several brass diesels and cabooses. I am not looking for cleaning, priming, baking, airbrush technique or any of the other topics already so well covered here and elsewhere on the internet. Specifically, unlike plastic, everything is soldered together on brass models, so I'm here looking for hints and tips on painting and decaling brass models where the details are already in place. For example, I wouldn't think it is feasible to unsolder parts and resolder them after painting without the heat marring the paint. However, I could be wrong. That's why I'm here! :) Thanks.

Roy

I find brass easier than plastic. It's generally easier to handle, that is to say tougher. Details in place is no big deal. I usually paint the car, and if necessary, brush paint any details that need to be painted separately, for example, marker lamps, handrails, etc. The chassis or floors usually get painted black, along with any brake details. You should have no problem.

An example, I paint boilers black, mask for smokebox color, then brush paint bells, pop valves, whistles, hand rails, headlights, etc. Takes a while, but comes out great. Let us know if you have any specific questions. I would not recommend you try and unsolder anything. It's unnecessary and a slippery slope, unless you have resistance gear.

Thanks, Alan. I'll be painting diesels, which I hope are easier than steam.

Alan has it correct, in that brass is easier to paint than plastic. I personally find that steam is a lot easier to paint than plastic. This is a personal opinion, and as always YMMV.

But the best thing about brass is that you can bake the paint on brass models where its impossible to do so with plastic. Not only does the paint get cured real fast, but the heat will also smooth out the paint. If you're using an enamel like Scalecoat, baking can make the paint appear flawless. Baking also makes the paint rock hard and difficult to chip.

Baking should be done in an oven no hotter than 200`F, and be baked a minimum of 1 hour. I have made it a practice to bake mine at least 2 hours. That makes the paint really shine.

Back