Southern steam with DCC and smoke

Hrmmm...the only things I'm finding with smoke is O-scale. If you can find one with enough room you can add a smoke unit to a DCC model...

If you find the unit that you want, DCC can be added with the DCC decoder mounted in the tender.

So I could buy a Bachmann 2-6-2 Prairie Locomotive #51504 and then add DCC? If so how hard is this to do?

Are you trying to model the SRR accurately? If so, this loco isn't correct. Not to burst your bubble, but the SRR never had 2-6-2's. The Spectrum 4-4-0 is correct, their 4-6-0, as does the 2-8-0, requires more rework to make them accurate.

That Spectrum 4-4-0, and their 2-10-2, are really the only accurate SRR loco's made by Bachmann. The others are foobies. Plus only engines assigned to passenger trains were painted green. The 4-4-0 was assigned to passenger so it is correct, and the 2-10-2 being a freighter was painted black, with graphite smoke and fire boxes.

If you are really trying to model the SRR in steam accurately, then I would recommend that you get a copy of Richard E Prince's book "Southern Railway Steam Locomotives and Boats" It's my bible regarding SRR steamers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look for an undecorated engine and add your own decals. You may have to detail it yourself. When you decide what engine you are getting look at the diagram for the engine and is there is room you can add a Seuth smoke unit.

Bob

The problem is the 'smoke' is oil vapor which will eventually coat everything, cause problems with some paints and is more 'toy' than serious modelling. The "O" folks aren't so interested in scale or accuracy with the 3 rail track, shortened locos and rolling stock so smoke seems OK with them.

If you are really trying to model the SRR in steam accurately, then I would recommend that you get a copy of Richard E Prince's book "Southern Railway Steam Locomotives and Boats" It's my bible regarding SRR steamers.

Did that one get reprinted Carey? If so I must have missed the announcement. A first printing would be hard to find, and expensive! Hope you haven't sent the poor fellow looking for the Holy Grail. He may only find the Knights who say Neet...or a shrubbery :p:D;)!

Thanks for the information. It is for my sons 7th birthday and accuracy is not essential. He wants to add a steam engine to the layout we are working on. He said he wants one that smokes but I am trying to stay with DCC. Want to get a steam unit and Crescent cars for him.

Did that one get reprinted Carey? If so I must have missed the announcement. A first printing would be hard to find, and expensive! Hope you haven't sent the poor fellow looking for the Holy Grail. He may only find the Knights who say Neet...or a shrubbery :p:D;)!

There has been at least two more editions brought out by the University of Indiana Press, (may be Illinois). They are supposed to be running reprints of all of Prince's book the last one I've heard about, being the NC&StL.

But yes first editions are hard and expensive to come by. Mine's one of those, and is even autographed by the author.:D

There has been at least two more editions brought out by the University of Indiana Press, (may be Illinois). They are supposed to be running reprints of all of Prince's book the last one I've heard about, being the NC&StL.

But yes first editions are hard and expensive to come by. Mine's one of those, and is even autographed by the author.:D

Mine too! I have Jim's copy.

Look for an undecorated engine and add your own decals. You may have to detail it yourself. When you decide what engine you are getting look at the diagram for the engine and is there is room you can add a Seuth smoke unit.

Bob
How hard is it to install the Seuth smoke unit?

There are several units available. First you have to know what engine you are going to install it in. How much room under exhaust stack.
Google Seuth smoke to see what unit size is. Walthers and Trainworld carry some.

Bob

Let's say I buy a 4-4-0 with DCC from Bachmann then find a Seuth that fits. Does it just plug in or do you have to wire it in? Trying to get an idea of how complicated this is because my experience level is very low.

You would have to wire it in. You would also have to take the boiler off to install it. Some Mantua engines came with smoke but you would have to install DCC. The Bachmann engines with smoke don't work very well unless you run flat out. Broadway limited and MTH have the best factory installed smoke with DCC and sound.

Bob

Back