Southern Railroad

PittBull

Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. I am interested in modeling a section of the Southern railroad that passed through Ga & SC during the 50's & 60's. My wife's grandfather was an engineer on that line.
1. Where would I find N Scale loco and rolling stock from that period?
2. Any suggestions in how to start to re-decorate my existing locos and rolling stock?
Thanks for any help and ideas.

You might want to try M.B. Kleins for the loco's, as for how to go about redecorating your current engines, I wouldn't have a clue but am sure there will lots here who can point you in the right direction.

Check http://yardsaletrains.com/ for used equipment. I've never bought anything but there have been several who have and they seemed satisfied.

I just checked them out. Their shipping is insane.

I found a piece of 1 inch Unitrack that I have a use for. 1 section of track. 1 inch long total. Cost was $1.25. I figured 'perfect'! When I went to check out it was $8 in shipping costs. If they do $8 flat rate shipping for everything, that's reasonable for a $100 locomotive. But when you do flat rate shipping you have to have a second tier of pricing for the cheap stuff.

I mean a $1.25 piece of 1 inch track should be tossed into an envelope with a 50 cent stamp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't buy one piece of track by itself from anyone, I would make it part of another order to spread the costs out. I agree, pretty high shipping, part of why I haven't bought anything there. But, if he has it, I want it and can't get it elsewhere, I'll bite the bullet and just take it like a champ, mumbling to myself the whole time.:)

I would suggest using flex track and switchs as this could save you some money over unitrack, plus you wouldn't be limited to a set radius and you would also have a lot less joints over unitrack. I was introduced to flex track back in the late 70's at a great hobby shop and haven't touched and sectional track since. My opinion only.

I'm with Bob and the others - use flex track if you can.

It may not be as convenient as sectional track but has a lot more benefits than sectional as have been pointed out above.

Maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. I am interested in modeling a section of the Southern railroad that passed through Ga & SC during the 50's & 60's. My wife's grandfather was an engineer on that line.
1. Where would I find N Scale loco and rolling stock from that period?
2. Any suggestions in how to start to re-decorate my existing locos and rolling stock?
Thanks for any help and ideas.

Talk to CJCrescent. He knows that railroad and what it ran. He's an HO guy but he can still can help you with correct paint schemes and tell the difference between accurate models and "foobies" if that matters to you.

Back