Southern Crescent 4-6-2

rdeal

International Hobby Corp has a Southern Crescent 4-6-2 Pacific for sale
M9924

Please share and information/opinion of company or engine

thanks

rdeal

The IHC corp locomotives are tough and durable, but they are intended for a market where the users are not so fussy about 'correctness' or fidelity to any one prototype. They use the same shell/boiler configuration for all 4-6-2 or 2-8-2 and just alter small details like painting and striping. IOW, they are not 'fine' locomotives, but they do enjoy a reputation for being reliable.

Rod,
If you want a loco to truly match the SRR "Crescent" locos, you'll have to go brass, or an older AHM/Rivarossi heavy pacific. The IHC version, IIRC, is actually a USRA light pacific, a locomotive the SRR never had.

The Ps-4's used to pull the premier passenger trains on the SRR (and it's subsidiaries), were all USRA heavy pacific clones. AHM did import a model known as the 1401, the prototype sits in the Smithsonian, but this model isn't quite 100%, as well as being very rare. The trailing truck needs to be changed to a USRA type, and some minor changes made to the tender. The regular USRA version that was imported by AHM would also make a reasonable model, provided you wanted to do all the detailing that would necessitate. Probably the cost of the details would push the price above a correct brass one.

With prices of older PFM Ps-4's being between $200-$300, and the newer versions for higher, starting with an older brass one would be more feasible. The only changes needed to it would be installation of a new can motor, possibly a gearbox change, and some detail upgrades. There generally seems to be one or two for sale on E-bay all the time, and it seems that used brass dealers generally have several for sale as well.

As to the prototype, there were actually 2 "types" of Ps-4's out there. One was a straight USRA heavy pacific clone, had a smaller 4 axle tender, and a Worthington 3-B feedwater heater. These weren't as well known as the later Ps-4's, which were the same USRA clones but had the Elesco feedwater heater, and a 6-axle larger tender, and the detail is excellent, with the only changes possibly in the headlight, depending on which year the model was imported. Precision Scale Company imported both versions of the Ps-4's, but they aren't as "cheap" as the ones from PFM. (Anywhere from 1.5 to 3 times the price of the PFM version). I have 2 of the PFM versions, and I think that although the detail is slightly better on the PSC versions, the PFM appears to be more ruggedly built. It was designed to run!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Microscale has a sheet for Southern steam that will allow someone to letter a Ps-4. Carey, do you know if this sheet is as good as the Champ sets were? You had to get two different Champ sets if memory serves.

I would agree with Carey's position here. The PFM Ps-4s are well detailed and good runners. You could do a whole lot worse!

alan and cj - bottom line is : : i would like to model the "Crescent Limited" - the engine that ran in the late '20

being a novice - i get a bit confused

thanks so much for your help

rdeal

No biggie. That Microscale decal sheet has the lettering for the Crescent. Now depending on your skill level, if you just want a stand in, the IHC engine will work. It is your railroad after all. Carey and I happen to be rather prototype conscious, and we (at least I) sometimes assume the same about modelers asking these questions. :cool:

I see Microscale has a sheet for Southern steam that will allow someone to letter a Ps-4. Carey, do you know if this sheet is as good as the Champ sets were? You had to get two different Champ sets if memory serves.

Haven't seen that set, Alan. But it doesn't matter. The last month that Champ was in business, I ordered over $300 worth of SRR decals, to go with the 50 sets I won on E-bay the year before.

I would suspect that the Microscale sets are as good or even better than the Champ's, unless they've really screwed up. SRR had 2 "different" colors for lettering their steamers. One was what they called a Bronze gold, almost a yellow, for their freights, and a Duluxe gold, which was more of a true gold color for their passenger locos.

I think that I'll go out there and look at 'em.

Back