Sound Traxx Mobil Decoder Lighting Help

meanjean

I installed a sound traxx part #852002, model #MC2H104AT into an Athearn HO SD40

http://www.soundtraxx.com/MotorDecoders/MotorDecoders.php

Its a SP loco and have used FX6 to controll my Gyra Light.
Here are the issues.
The light flashed bright then instead of dims goes all the way out then back on. Its more like someone turning the light on and off vice what a proto typical Gyra light looks like. My other Sound Traxx Tsunami sound decoders dont do this. The flash bright then dim slightly then go bright again like the 1:1 loco did.

How can (if possible) can I adjust this. Its not a huge deal but it does bother me.

I used 1.5v bults with 470 ohm resistors. 560 ohms was too dim altogether.

Any help would be great.
Chad

What did you wire the lights to as the Common?

I have one loco with the MC1Z102P6 decoder but no lights yet. The wiring diagram did not show what the lights common is?

I have been meaning to contact Soundtrax about this and just did. I'll post their answer.

Those instructions is for the Tsunami which has the BLUE common wire for lights.
The MC1 and MC2 series of Mobile decoders do NOT have the Blue common lead.
The diagram on the card only gave the pin-out and not the lighting common connection.

I emailed Soundtrax to ask and they stated that the lighting common is the Rail pick-up.

Is this what you used?

I am disappointed that the info on the card is not available on Soundtrax's website.

Last edited by a moderator:
No I think I have the pickups correct. Even though the directions online are for sound decoders the terminoligy on the directions match those on the mobile decoder package.

The lights work fine, front, back and Gyra (FX6) so I know I hooked it up right and used the resistors in the correct locations.

The question is why does the Gyra light not look more like the real thing and are there values I can adjust to make the appearance more real?

My Tsunami sound decoders Gyra lights look perfect so I dont understand why a mobile and sound decoders from the same company have different looking Gyra light effects?

I think this question should be sent directly to Soundtrax.
They did answer my question the very next day.

Updated Reply from Soundtraxx with Youtube visual;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3H2FBQFf3s&feature=plcp

Chad,

I do see what you are describing. Do the other two locomotives have the same size resistor in line? Also are all three tracks on the same booster? If the resistor size is too low the you will see the light go out in between flashes. If the three tracks are powered differently you may also just switch it to the other track to test it and see if it still flashes on and off (Or test the voltage on all 3 tracks to be sure they are the same). You may need to go to an electronics specialty store to find a resistor that is a bit higher, like a 520ohm, that may be a better fit and keep the light from going all the way out. It looks like the 470 ohm is just too low to get the desired effect, and since the 560ohm is too dim something in between should fix the issue.

Jaime

Last edited by a moderator:

Back